We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time do we need between our flights?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
How much time do we need between our flights?

I am planning our trip to UK in June. We are more or less decided that we'll fly to Edinburgh and drive to London. What we'd like to know is if we'll need to retrieve our luggages in Heathrow and recheck in for our flight to Edinburgh? We plan to fly Singapore Airlines which is scheduled to touch down in Heathrow at 7.35am in the morning. The Virgin Atlantic flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh is at 9.15am. Is there enough time for us?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,465 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

Don't know - is this booked as one ticket - ie Singapore to Edinburgh or two tickets - Singapore to London, London to Edinburgh?

If the former then there must be enough time as you wouldn't be allowed to book it otherwise, if the latter then the answer would be no.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

It is important to know if it's all booked on a through ticket because it will make a difference as to whether you make the flight to Edinburgh or not, if it's 2 seperate tickets then you won't make it because you'll have to go through customs and retrieve your luggage.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,082 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

You should get Singapore-Edinburgh priced as a through flight (you may need to use the multi-city option to do this so your return booking is from London).

This will give you a connecting flight with a codeshare partner. This means your luggage will be transferred at Heathrow, and all you then have to do is follow the Flight Connections signs to catch your next flight - if you need to move between terminals there are free bus transfers every few minutes.

And if your flight from Singapore is delayed and you miss the connecting flight, the airline is responsible for getting you to Edinburgh at no extra cost to yourselves.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

I have tried to book a through flight on Singapore Airlines website and this is the time of the flights given. For a return flight fm Singapore to Edinburgh, price was reasonable at around £1200 per pax. But when I tried an open jaw,returning via London, the price more than doubled. So I went to the separate websites of Virgin and Sing apore Airlines, the price of the 2 tickets is only less than £900 per pax. So I am thinking of booking the tickets separately for obvious reasons.

So apparently Singapore Airlines and Virgin are code share partners. I understand they can allow me to check in my bags directly from Singapore to Edinburgh as well even when I have separate tickets. But when we went to the US, even though we check our bags to our final destination, we need to claim them and go through customs, then put the bags back into carousel again. This time, it is not US but in UK, and we are just wondering if it will be the same or different.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 00:02
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

Alternatively, will arriving at 6am give me enough time to connect to the 9.15 on Virgin? I understand that the Virgin flight will be operated by Aer Lingus. Will that make any difference in terms of terminals? Otherwise, what is the min time I need to give myself between the 2 flights? Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

Separate tickets is always risky.

Try contacting a reputable full service travel agent and see if you can get the open jaw booked as an interline (multi-carrier) ticket rather than a codeshare. It's possible that in trying to book direct with SQ, that they've run out of their allocation of tickets in the cheap fare buckets. It's possible you'd find connections on BA that way if via LHR, though you don't need to go via LHR if flying SIN-EDI.

I had a similar situation in October flying from the US to India. The full itinerary on United including UA code shares with Jet was $2500, yet booking the same flights using the connections on Jet flight numbers came to $1580.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 02:18
London
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

" But when we went to the US, even though we check our bags to our final destination,"

Different process here. If your bags are checked through, you'd clear UK immigration in London and your bags would clear customs in Edinburgh. The coding on the baggage labels tells the baggage loaders to keep your bags separate from those passengers who have an entirely "intra-EU" journey.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

<<So apparently Singapore Airlines and Virgin are code share partners. I understand they can allow me to check in my bags directly from Singapore to Edinburgh as well even when I have separate tickets. But when we went to the US, even though we check our bags to our final destination, we need to claim them and go through customs, then put the bags back into carousel again>>

Yes, Singapore Airlines will check your bags through to Edinburgh despite them being on separate bookings. This will simplify things but the VA flight to Edinburgh goes from Terminal One and I suspect the SIN>LHR flight will land at T3. Follow Flight Connections to change terminals, T1,2 and 3 are very close to each other. T4 and T5 are miles away.

We don't do the silly 'collect bags, re-load bags' thing that US airports seem to enjoy. You won't see your bags until you get to Edinburgh

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

But when I tried an open jaw,returning via London, the price more than doubled.

=======

Was that using the multi-city option on their website?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time do we need between our flights?

Note that when you arrive in Edinburgh, your bags will be on a different baggage reclaim carousel than the other people on your flight. You will nominally clear customs in Edinburgh, but I have never seen any customs agents on duty there, just a phone to pick up and dial if you have something to declare.

The reason for the "silly" US procedure is that many US airports have no international flights and therefore no ability to have you clear customs there. US customs requires you to fill in a form and speak to an agent who stamps and retains the form, which means an Edinburgh-style telephone arrangement would not work. Having customs agents at every US airport for the dozen or fewer passengers a week who might need their services would be a colossal waste of money.