We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

My mother, sister (10) and I are visiting London in late January and early February in 2014 from Australia and we are after some recommendations of what is the best way to see London whether it be a sightseeing bus, walking tour etc. I'm also looking for some suggestions on attractions, things to do, places to eat that will be suitable for a ten year old.

Any other recommendations/ suggestions will be fantastic.

Thanks!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

Time to get a guidebook. It will help with the many questions that will arise. It should have at least a basic map, a map of the Underground, and listings of the basic things tourists see.

You can do a combination of hop on hop off bus for a day, walks with londonwalks, and your own jaunts around the city. Bring a sturdy worn in pair of shoes, because you will do a lot of walking.

Waterproof jacket or coat over fleece, with warm hats and gloves shpuld see you through the weather.

See some musicals with half price tickets bought the same day at TKTS booth in Leicester Square.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 05:24
Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

Thank you for your help! London is very daunting coming from a small city in Australia.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

The hop on hop off buses are good for an overview, but should not be considered for transport: they do not run as frequently as London red buses, nor do they cover as much of the city.

If you've not read the two traveller articles about Travelcards and the two for one offers, please do so now. You will find the articles under Top Questions About London at the right of the forums posts. Since you will need Travelcards to make your way in the capital, you may buy them at a National Rail station ticket office and save ££ when sightseeing with the offers.

The Museum of London is a good choice for adults and children, as it has much to appeal to both. The Science Museum and Natural History Museums are also well worth a visit. If the weather behaves, young Miss D should enjoy a river cruise as much as the adults will.

Where have you booked to stay and how long will you be in London? Will you fly to and from the city or travel by rail?

Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

Thank you for your recommendations! :) I'm sure she will love the museum and a cruise. We are staying in Fulham with family and travelling by rail.

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

May I suggest looking at the Rough Guide for London for your ideas,and then your family in Fulham should be able to give you first hand travel tips for in& around the city.Hope this may help.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

I was daunted by my first trip to London too! but then it became a bit of an addiction......

I like the DK Eyewitness guidebooks, and can spend hours poring over them.

The transport system is amazing. I like using the buses (the normal ones, not the hop on hop off) because you can see so much from them, unlike the Tube, and they're so easy to use - they have electronic voices and readouts that tell you which stop you're coming up to and, as you leave it, what number it is, what the terminus is so even I, with absolutely minimal sense of direction, have never got lost on one yet.

The DLR trains are also great. If you get in the front seat of the front carriage (they are driverless), it's like being on an amazing roller coaster ride as you hurtle into tunnels. Some of the views out over the water into the newer build areas are also amazing (hm, seems like my word for the day) and just call to your camera. The great thing about a travel card, be it paper or plastic, is that you can break your journey wherever you want, as many times as you want, and it will still just cost you the same price, within the zones that it's valid for (which is, by and large, most of the places we tourists are likely to be).

Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

Thank you Michael, I'll look into that.

Thanks Ailidh for your help! You've given me heaps of information to follow onto, I should be fine now.

Thanks again both of you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

stmartin-in-the-fields.org/visiting/…

There will probably be times when you just want to get into the warm somewhere and have something to eat and drink and perhaps have an activity to do as well . In this location the 10 year old can take home their own British king or Queen or Knight ( and the adults too if they want to ) and its right beside its popular and warm café / restaurant

Its in the big white church on the corner of Trafalgar Square

The Natural History Museum ( free ) has the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition ( entrance fee for this bit ) which is superb. And it also has a live butterfly centre.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 11:30
9. Re: London recommendations- Sightseeing bus, attractions etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:18