We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Pass + London Must-Sees

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
London Pass + London Must-Sees

Hi,

We will be taking a trip to london in January (being an adult and a 16 year old). We were planning to buy to london pass but do you think it is worth it for a 16 year old? Also, if the 16 year old doesn't buy it, will she be able to skip the line with the adult but still pay the entrance fee?

Also, what do you recommend as must-sees? We will be there for 3.5 days with 3/4 day for Harry Potter Studios Tour. Also we have booked the Big Bus Tour (as it was the 48hr deal and just an easy way to get a tour).

Thank you!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

Skip the line is only available at a handful of London Attractions covered by the London Pass. Most attractions don't have long lines, unless you count London Dungeons and Madame Tussauds, which aren't recommended here.

Please read the article about the 2-4-1 Travelcards. (Under Top Questions, upper right) This is a much more flexible way to achieve savings and see the sights of London.

The London Pass is not recommended by many here.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

Sounds like it might be a good idea for both of you to review a guidebook to get an idea of what sights, museums, events appeal to you. Then, feel free to come back for help and recommendations. "Must Sees" are entirely subjective.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:22
Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

These are the attractions we want to see!

London Eye (not sure if we want to go up though)

Convent garden

Buckingham Palace (plus tour)

Tower of London

British museum

Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre

St Pauls cathedral

221B baker st

Westminster Abbey

Hyde Park

Maybe:

National gallery

Royal opera house

Parliamentary houses

Churchill war rooms

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:33
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

There are 19 things in your list (many of which take 1/2 day, some longer, few shorter) and you say "We will be there for 3.5 days with 3/4 day for Harry Potter Studios Tour. Also we have booked the Big Bus Tour (as it was the 48hr deal and just an easy way to get a tour).:"

So you plan to see the 19 things in about 2 days, taking off 1/2 day for the bus (which is a waste of the high cost) and 3/4 for HP.

How do you even imagine its possible to fit all that into 2 days?

EDIT: just noticed the "maybe".

You do know 221b baker street is fictional right?

You still wont fit the "non maybe" things in. Can you stay longer?

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

When exactly are you here?

The London Eye is closed from 6-17th January;

Buckingham Palace is only open for a few dates in January and these are for the 'private' tours at £75 each, which may make you think twice!

If you only want to see the outside of the HofP and Westminster Abbey then you can do both at the same time. Churchill War Rooms are very close.

I'm not sure that Hyde Park is at its best in January, so would probably give it a miss.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

The British Museum and National Gallery, in common with most of the major museums and art galleries, are free anyway. So, of course, are the parks and places like Covent Garden.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

I definitely wouldn't bother with the LP. You might find the 2for1's better value esp as you don't have to buy in advance and get ripped off in the process. A lot of stuff (some of it on your list) is free anyway.

In 3-4 days you can probably manage about 6 major attractions and 2 or 3 minor/walk by ones. This may depend on when you are here as some (Buck Pal as mentioned) may not be open or available.

HP studio tours should be bought in advance but it is most of a day out so whether you should prioritise that is something only you can decide based, probably, on how Potter-mad you are.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

Thank you for all your replies! I didn't know about the London Eye - guess that's one thing off the list, and I realised about the cost of the Palace tour after I posted oops, that is also not happening.

I think that we will do the 241 for Westminster Abbey, the Tower and St Paul's Cathedral. Thank you so much for the information on that! I will post the itinerary once its finished for some more advice.

So with the Parks, should we just give them all a miss?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

I would give them a miss in January, they are just expanses of grass with bare trees in and some lakes with cold ducks on them. No flowers, too cold to sit out, probably wet. No doubt you will go past a few on your travels around, but I certainly wouldn't make a special journey, I'm sure you have grass and trees where you live :-)

Edited: 30 December 2013, 18:25
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London Pass + London Must-Sees

I am in London now and I am enjoying the parks. Yes, the branches are bare of leaves for the most part, but it's still lovely to see. Better than a boring old Eucalyptus back at home...and there are squirrels!