We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Hello everyone - I'm planning a trip first 2 weeks in June. I would like to spend 9 days in London and 3 days in Paris. My budget is $5,000

- $1,000 return airfare

- $1,500 hotel

- $1,000 food

- $ 500 for side trips

- $1,000 for "just in case"

Is this a realistic budget?

I want to go to Hampton Court, Windsor, British Museum, do a walking tour, a trip on the Thames, do a countryside tour including a visit to a country pub, attend the theatre to see a play.

In Paris I want to visit the Louvre, Montmartre, Eiffel Tower, and have a coffee and croissant on the Champs d'Elysses (sp?).

Is this possible to achieve within a 12 day period? I have allotted 2 days for a return flight from Vancouver.

Also, I would like to book a reasonably priced hotel including breakfast if possible, close to the tube in London. And in Paris, any recommendations for a central location?

Did I miss any important things, places to visit, that should be included?

Any help I can get would be much appreciated. BTW, I am a youthful 70 year old.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

It might be a realistic budget if you were spending your dollars in Canada but in the UK they use pounds and in France they use the Euro.

Better to budget in the local currency. Convert Canadian to UK/Europe here -

www.xe.com

Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Hello!

Everybody here will ask you about your budget in Pounds. Also, how much do you want to spend in London and how much in Paris?

Also, please ask about your Paris budget in the Paris forum (in Euros).

Best regards

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

My initial thought is that Montmartre would be a better place for coffee and croissant. But on a London note, we'll need to see your budget in GBP rather than dollars then the experts (not me) can help you.

Angie

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Buy currency before departure at www.vbce.ca for the best rates in the lower mainland and no fees charged.

As above, thinking in dollars is of no use as in London you'll spend pounds and in Paris, euro.

There are hundreds of hotels 'close to the tube' in London, but you need not limit yourself to hotels near an Underground station. London's transport options are superb (considerably better than Translink's) with buses, the DLR, the Overground and National Rail services adding to the Underground offerings. The Metro in Paris is a thorough system as well; buses are not as plentiful in Paris.

Please let us know your budget for a London hotel in pounds. Let us know if you would like a modern purpose built hotel with all mod cons or are willing to book something a bit more modest. Let us know as well if you will fly from YVR to Heathrow or Gatwick; presumably you will travel to Paris on Eurostar (book well in advance at www.eurostar.com ).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

My budget for London hotel in pounds for 9 days is 600, 400 for food, 300 for side trips and 400 for "just in case"

It seems as tho my budget will allow for a modest hotel in London. I'm open to suggestions as to location as long as it is in proximity to a tube that will get me to the Eurostar or anywhere else for that matter.

I will fly to Heathrow and book the Eurostar well in advance.

I will go to the Paris forum for advice on Paris.

California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Hmmm, I think you might want to put some of your "just in case" funds in to the hotel bucket, as your current budget allows for 75 GBP per night for a hotel (if you are staying 8 nights). It's possible if you really want budget accommodations (prices in June might also be a bit higher unless you take advantage of special offers and book immediately). Take a look at the Travelodge and Premier Inn chains for pricing during your travel dates.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

£600 for 9 days hotel stay in London will allow budget hotels tbh. Premier Inn chain have a number of centrally located hotels throughout London that can be booked well in advance for as low as £60-£70 per night.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

Thank you.

Your return air fare will be charged in $CAD, and the $C1000 you've budgeted for travel in June should be sufficient. BA have in the past several years quietly reduced fares for travel from April through mid June and ideally will do the same in 2014. Keep an eye on the website as the reduced fares are often not announced as Sale fares specifically. If AC is your preferred airline, it's usually a matter of one airline following another, so if BA reduce fares then AC usually will as well.

Your hotel budget is on the low side. Try the Gower Street hotels - the Arosfa, Ridgemount and Jesmond, which should have rooms that will suit. All three are easily reached on the Underground from Heathrow, with one step free change at Green Park (and a short walk from Warren Street station), and all are a 10 minute bus ride to St Pancras.

If those three hotels don't appeal, please let us know. Premier Inns have been mentioned, but rates are high for the first couple of weeks in June, with occasional rates of £79 but no central London hotels with consistently low rates at that time.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 21:13
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

I think you can get decent accomodation for that price as long as you are ok with a little risk. Try Lastminute.com, hotwire.com etc they all have "mystery hotels" ie they give you the hotel class and the approximate location + a very discounted price.

I've tried it twice now, for 70-80 GBP a night I stayed at the Double Tree in Bloomsbury which wasn't bad and at the holiday inn near st pancras. This was 10 min walk to the tube but had an amazing swimming pool. So try that, you would probably get much, much better value for money than at the premier inn.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to London/Paris - solo female

University accommodation is available in June, and is less expensive that hotels and is clean, safe and centrally located. www.lsevacations.co.uk is one website that you could look at, and there are other websites for other colleges.

June is one of the busiest months of the year and there is lots of stuff going on such as the Wimbledon tennis championship, and the Trooping the Colour parade for the queen's birthday

http://www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/

Edited: 30 December 2013, 23:31