We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube tickets

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Tube tickets

Hi all,

Travelling to london in March for three days. I know I will be using the tube quite a bit. What are the best ticket options for me. Can I just buy a day ticket in the station.

Thanks

Michelle

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube tickets

Yes.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube tickets

How much is it.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube tickets

First of TfL fares for 2014 can be found here: www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/fares-2014/29089.aspx

You can get paper day travelcards from either TfL or (a different type of travelcard) from the National Rail stations but these may be very slightly more expensive than the Oyster equivalent. Personally I'd say get an Oyster card and use pay-as-you-go funds - it'll cap your daily spend at the equivalent day travelcard rate and if you don't spend £8.40 on travel in a day then you've saved money. You'll have to pay a deposit but you'll get that and any money left on the card if you hand it in at the end of your travels. Alternatively if you think you'll be back (not inconceivable from Dublin!) then you may wish to hang on to it.

This also has the added benefit of meaning that you don't need to worry about zones as it'll just be a standard payment deduction. This having been said the National Rail travelcard (valid on tube, bus etc) will give you access to the 2-for-1 offers detailed in the link to the top right of this page.

If you want more advice I think we'd probably need to know more about your needs

EDIT: Just to confirm if you're travelling with someone you'd need an Oyster card *each* you can't pay for two+ people's fares with one card

Edited: 02 January 2014, 20:49
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube tickets

www.tfl.gov.uk

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube tickets

There will be two of us travelling and not past zone 2. I was thinking of getting the Oyster card. Seems the handiest. Can I get these in the stations or do I need to apply and what is the cost.

Thanks for your help, much better than a simple "yes"!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,873 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube tickets

Yes, you may obtain Oyster cards at Tube ticket offices. The £5 deposit for each card (and unused PAYG money) will be returned when you hand in the card at an Underground ticket office at the end of your stay.

If you plan to fly to Heathrow airport you may buy the Oyster cards and use them straight away. With Heathrow in zone 6 you will need to ensure you have enough pre-pay loaded to cover the journey and other trips you will make on arrival day. Adding £25 should be more than sufficient for a three day stay plus one off peak trip from Heathrow to the city centre, but if you need to add more money it's easy to do at Tube ticket machines - just touch in and follow the onscreen instructions.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube tickets

With respect Shelley, you were getting short answers (including mine) as your original post didn't give us much to go on.

We're not psychic and it was only after asking subsequent questions it cane to light that 'I' was actually 'we'.

The more information we're given, the better we can tailor our answers to your situation.

Happy travels.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube tickets

What does it matter if "i" was "we". We'd only be getting identical tickets. I clearly stated how long I'd be there for and asked what where my ticket options. Additionally I asked could I get a day ticket. A simple yes answered a small part of my question with not much info.

Thanks all for the answers I know what to get now.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,212 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube tickets

What does it matter if "i" was "we".

-----------------------

So you're not interested in the 2for1's either presumably. Which is fair enough. It's no skin off anyone's noses if you're not but if you were, you'd be missing out.

And fwiw this question gets asked several times a day so well worth scanning some of the threads first. It's probably been answered already.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube tickets

What does it matter if "i" was "we".

--------

It could matter perhaps fifty to a hundred pounds, but as you aren't bothered by that, go buy your tickets and enjoy.