We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London-Paris trip from Boston in May

Boston...
5 posts
Save Topic
London-Paris trip from Boston in May

My husband and I are interested in a trip from Boston to London, train to Paris, then fly back to Boston from Paris. We have just started thinking about it, so we have not made any plans yet, but interested in hearing others experiences and any tips you might have for us. We think we would like to go in April or May for about 12 days. We are in our late 40's, have never been to London, my husband has never been to Paris either, we enjoy museums, restaurants, shopping, sightseeing, history. We would appreciate any info re: hotels vs. renting apt on airbnb, what to see/skip, how many days for london/paris, recommendations on what arrondisement would be best to stay, tours ...any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you fellow travelers!

California
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

You should also post on the Paris forum for recommendations for that portion of your trip :)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

Your outline plan is fine but once the flights are booked along with the Eurostar (both should be done soon - especially the train) you will then have to start doing some homework both with regard to accommodation as well as sightseeing.

What we find might fascinating you might find boring and vice versa so please invest in a guide book and read the many trip reports to be be found in the sticky at the top of page one. Then maybe put together an outline itinerary and post again asking for comments. As a rule of thumb you should look to "do" no more than two major tourist sights per day plus an evening activity. Allow time to sit back and smell the roses!

As for accommodation, anywhere within the Circle (yellow) tube line as well as along the South bank between Westminster and Tower Bridge can be considered central and from where you can get to pretty much anywhere else in tourist central London within half an hour.

A budget (in pounds please (or Euros for Paris)) may allow us to make some suggestions but better you come up with a few options and ask us to compare.

And remember that planning is half the fun!

Brighton, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

Spend little bit of time searching London tourist attraction info once you have decided places you want vist come back with question you have about each places.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

We did a similar trip in September and split our days 9/London-3/Paris. You might split it differently. The advice about booking Eurostar train early is sound (assuming your dates are set in stone and won't change) -- the fares do goes up a lot later. I also found that it paid to check the prices in both pounds and dollar as sometimes it is cheaper in pounds.

The two critical items for my London trip:

1. My detailed MapGuide (an older edition works fine and is a lot cheaper.. like the amazon.com/London-Visitors-Atlas-Geographers… or amazon.com/The-London-Mapguide-Seventh-Mapgu… ) was a lifesaver as the AAA maps or guidebook maps were inadequate. Imagine Boston street layout * 5 and you get the picture.

2. Photos to get the 7-day paper travelcards for travel within London and the 2-4-1 specials. None of the guidebooks (apart from the forums here) walk you through how to do it but it is a money-saver.

I looked at Air BnB but ended up with Hotwire as the discounts on London hotels were quite good.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 00:54
Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

good idea...thanks!

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

thanks so much, this will definitely help with planning. ...exactly the type of info I was searching for

7. Re: London-Paris trip from Boston in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:16