We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London July 2014

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
London July 2014

Going to the UK for the first time in July, we fly into London on the 8th at Gatwick and plan to spend a 3 or 4 days in London before working our way to Scotland. We fly out on the 21st of July.

I'm looking for information of the best areas to stay in London that gives us relatively easy access to some of the sites we want to see via bus or rail.

Must sees are

London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Trafalgar Square, Wesminister Palace, Westminister Abbey, Big Ben.

We'll add or take away places once we get there depending on the time we have. Also, any suggestions for the best markets would be welcomed.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all replies!

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: London July 2014

Premier Inn Blackfriars? It has good reviews on Tripadvisor, is close to the tube, and has some reasonable rates at the moment.

We haven't stayed in that particular Premier Inn, but have stayed in the 'County Hall' one - which was great - however the rates at County Hall are at least a third more for your dates.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London July 2014

We are going to London in August 2014, the second time with my husband and daughter. We really liked staying in Earls Court. Last time, we were at the Hotel Indigo Kensington-Earls Court, but they raised their rates, so we're staying at the Templeton Apartment in Earls Court. Their rate may fit into your budget, at the worse, maybe £10 above your budget. But the apt has a kitchen so eating in for a few breakfasts may compensate for that.

What we like about Earls Court:

- The Piccadilly line takes you straight to Earls Court in 30 min off-peak hours, and the Templeton is a 3-min walk from the tube station. Earls Court has an elevator so easy with all the luggage.

- Easy to get anywhere from Earls Court, with access to the Piccadilly and District lines.

- Nice area with some good restaurants if we want to eat close to base camp.

This is just our preference of course, and there are so many quaint areas/neighbourhoods to choose from.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: London July 2014

"The Piccadilly line takes you straight to Earls Court in 30 min off-peak hours"

This is true if arriving into Heathrow, however Sportyster is flying to Gatwick.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: London July 2014

Oh you're right...they're flying into Gatwick.

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: London July 2014

Thanks so much for all of the replies and suggestions. I'm leaning more towards a B&B for our stay in the London. Is it unreasonable to stay outside of London a ways and take the rail or bus into London for our touring? Would the rates be a little cheaper? I might have to reconsider our budget to stay closer to central London.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,423 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: London July 2014

There will be some difference but then you'll have to factor in travel costs.

Also, you won't be able to pop back to the hotel to drop off packages or freshen up before dinner or if you head to the theatre.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: London July 2014

" Is it unreasonable to stay outside of London a ways and take the rail or bus into London for our touring?"

It generally isn't recommended by most. The savings can be eaten into by the extra transport costs.

Ultimately you need to consider - are you the sort of travelers that like to be able to pop back to the hotel during the day to change clothes, pick up/leave some stuff, have a rest, etc. Cant do that so easily if your hotel is 30 or 40 minutes each way from the centre.

There should be plenty of perfectly acceptable central options in or around your budget.

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: London July 2014

Thanks again for the replies. The list given has been a huge help, I have a few places that I'm checking into. Just curious about something, I figured out that WC stands for Water Closet, what would the WC LG stand for?

Edited: 03 January 2014, 22:40
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,423 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: London July 2014

what would the WC LG stand for?

============

Unless its referring to a style of TV from a particular electronics company - nope, got me.

Alberta
Level Contributor
162 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: London July 2014

Nope, not a style of tv. I'm assuming it has something to do with en-suite and water closet