We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
107 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
weather

I live in the tropics. Which is a better month to travel to London, April or May?

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather

May. Days are longer, weather should be better but you might do well to note there are bank holidays at the start and end of the month. Same advice if you live in Greenland.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather

May. the best month of the year with spring flowers and the trees in leaf and it's light till nearly 11pm so longer days to see more.

The Bank Holidays will be the 5th and 26th of May and school half term 23rd May so the end of the month will be a busy week with lots of children. Best to come in the middle of the month

April School holidays5th to 21st is school Easter Holiday. April is a nice month usually but sunshine and showers and not so warm.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather

I've been in London in July and don't recall it being light until 11pm, so out of curiosity I looked at the sunset times for London in May. Sunset ranges from 8:30 to 9pm throughout the month. I just didn't want the OP to over plan their days if they were expecting daylight until 11pm.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
107 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather

Thanks everyone! I am happy that it will spring and we can walk in the park with the flowers blooming.

Level Contributor
3,391 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather

It won't necessarily be the case. The UK has no fixed climate, April may be warm and sunny, May cold and wet. Its pot luck. Light is the differentiator, the weather could be good in either, or both, or neither. You'll only know in June which was the better month to visit.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather

I'm not sure why people consider the sunset time important? Everything doesn't shut and down and everyone go to bed just because it's got dark. And everything is lit up almost as brightly as in the day time anyway.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weather

Sunset time is important for photographers.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: weather

I know Wikipedia isn't always accurate (I can hear teachers and academics screaming!) but their page on London includes information on the temperatures/rain etc by month: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Climate

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather

MC, sunset time doesn't mean it is dark at that time. There is still a lot of indirect light from the sun.

Today sunset was around 4pm but it was still lightish until 5 and even then not dark.

If there are clear skies it will be light much later. If it is heavy cloud then sunset time would be about right or 10ish. I often enjoy walking along the beach with the dogs at 10.30-11pm at the end of May.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 20:41
10. Re: weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:18