We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London apartment advice

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
London apartment advice

I would appreciate advice on the following apartment we are considering for our 10 day stay in London. I seem to have left it too late - a lot of the properties which seem to be nice are already taken - Wimbledon week and summer rush I guess.

uniquelyaplacelikehome.co.uk/sloane-gardens-…

Is it standard to pay a damage deposit equal to half the week's rent? (refundable in 4 weeks from check-out).

Other advice regarding suitable apartments would be greatly appreciated. I have browsed through a place like home, one fine stay, London perfect and a few others from TexScott's list.

We (3 persons) would really like to stay in the Chelsea area (5-7 min from Sloane Square tube station) or in the South Kensington area (again 5-7 min from South Kensington or Gloucester tube stations).

WiFi essential (I think most rentals offer this anyway) & do not mind some stairs/lack of lift.

All comments, suggestions and advice greatly appreciated!

PNW, US
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London apartment advice

Have you emailed A Place Like Home and told them what you are looking for? They have additional properties not featured on their website, and will send you a list (if they haven't already).

I don't know if the deposit amount is standard or not, but I've stayed with them before (a studio, years ago) and the service and flat were both flawless. I can't recall what the deposit was but we had no problems.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London apartment advice

Did you try Farnum & Christ, they have a couple of flats near Sloan Square (I've stayed in one of them)?

What about this one? http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p497724

I rented another flat from this company and they were easy to deal with:

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p828017

londonpropertylets.co.uk/holiday_lets.shtml

Not your designated areas, but very central (two flats by the same owner): http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p54319

Edited: 03 January 2014, 04:50
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London apartment advice

As to your original question (the flat on Sloane Gardens). Looks like a nice flat. I've stayed in a flat on Sloane Gardens and it is a nice area. Not a lot of cheap eats in the area, but lots of really good pubs. Decent sized grocery store down King's Road and a larger grocery store south of Victoria Station. A nice farmers market on Saturday is nearby and a large food market on Saturday as well. Two out of three cab drivers didn't know Sloane Gardens, but they all knew to drive on the pavement in front of the tube station to get there. It's really unusual, coming out of the station and seeing cars driving on what appears to be the pavement ("sidewalk" in American).

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London apartment advice

Thanks pandaschu. a place like home did send me a list of potentially available properties. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them. Just a little concerned regarding the amount of damage deposit they are asking for. We have rented apartments iin Paris & elsewhere before and were never asked for a damage deposit payable 2 months in advance with refund 1 month after check-out - hence the apprehension.

TexScott, thanks for your suggestions and advice. Unfortunately Farnum & Christ do not have the Sloane Gardens property available - the options they had available did not suit us.

However, the South Kensington property (first link) looks great - I have emailed them and will await their response. Also waiting on response from Tom Robinson of a place like home. (any advice/experience with them?).

5. Re: London apartment advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:19