We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for early Feb?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help for early Feb?

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are visiting London for a concert on the 4th of Feb and hanging around for an extra two days to see the sights.

We're staying at the Britannia hotel near Canary Wharf (purely because we got a good deal compared to other hotels near the O2 Arena!) and will be eating at the hotel as part of our package.

We basically want to know what are the "must-do" things we can squeeze in to our trip.

What are good things to do during the day?

What is a good "spooky" thing to do on the Wednesday night? (My friend loves ghosts and spooky history!)

Are the London passes worth it?

Any help would be gratefully received. I want to make the most of our trip down south. Money isn't a problem but would obviously welcome 2-4-1 deals and free activities ;)

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

LOndon passes not worth it IMO

For 2 for 1 you need a paper travelcard issued at a National Rail (not Underground, not DLR) station.

Plenty of London is free so no real need to pay admission charges anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

http://www.thewomaninblack.com/

This is on at the Fortune Theatre and is worth a look.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

I don't really believe in the idea of "must see". The things you must see are the things YOU want to see - not me.

For instance, for many people a visit to Madame Tussauds is a "must see". But I would rather pull my own teeth than go there.

Whereas - since you are coming from Leeds, I would recommend that you take time on arrival at the Station to look around. Both Kings Cross and next-door St. Pancras have benefited from major and sympathetic restoration in the past few years, transforming their roles as transportation hubs fit for rail travel in the twenty-first century, whilst retaining and enhancing the best of the original architecture from the nineteenth. In particular stand in the open square at the front of Kings Cross. Here you will see how the sweeping away of unsightly structures and the creation of a new urban square in front of the Station serve to reveal Lewis Cubitt's understated, elegant, symmetrical classical simplicity in all its glory; more than able to stand its own against the monumental confection of Victorian-Gothic high campery next door, that stands as Sir George Gilbert Scott's paean to the industries of the Midlands, whose businessmen financed the Midland Railway''s push to link the region with London and whose shareholders demanded that the railway's arrival in the Capital should be announced with a terminus that was nothing less than show-stopping.

But then you might not be into architecture. Or railway stations.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

If you are coming from Leeds by train, you shouldn't need paper travelcards. Your train tickets would work for the 2for1. You just need to keep both parts of the ticket, so don't put your ticket in the machine when you get to London, got to the gate with a staff person.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

If the weather lets you , one walk can take in lots of the highlights. Start at Green Park station and walk across the park to Buckingham Palace . Walk down the Mall to Trafalgar Square and then down Whitehall past Downing St to Parliament Sq with Westminster Abbey and Big Ben. Cross Westminster Bridge to the South Bank and the London Eye.

If you want to carry on further then it will take you along to Tate Modern and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.

The attraction that is very popular with most visitors is the Tower of London. Most visitors spend quite a few hours there

Edited: 04 January 2014, 11:01
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

Hi thank you for all your replies.

I've been looking at the 2 for 1 vouchers to be used with a rail ticket and there are quite a few that appeal to us! Especially the Tower and Dungeon attractions. I'm with the poster above; I also cannot see the appeal in Madame Tussaud's!

I like the idea of heading towards Buckingham Palace then making our way round from there. How long would it take to walk from the palace to,say, the Tower Bridge?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,332 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

London Walks offer both ghost walks and a Jack the Ripper walk. Check the website for relevant dates.

www.walks.com

Edited: 05 January 2014, 00:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

From Buckingham Palace to the river and then along to Tower Bridge ( walk along the South Bank for most of the way ; the views across London are better ) could take at least an hour but if you are stopping and looking and taking pictures and so on then it will probably take longer.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

Thank you for all your replies! When I arrive at Euston is there anywhere I can buy a cheap map to assist us with our route?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help for early Feb?

On the station forecourt will be a newsagent /bookshop called W H Smith and they will sell one.

The station's information desk may even give you free one