We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

I will be in London at the end of January, and looking through places I am yet to visit. Holland Park seems very attractive, but all I could find was spring/summer pictures and reviews. Is a winter viable? Especially vis-a-vis the park's wild (and more domesticated) life.

Thanks,

Ofra

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

The weather is changeable and unpredictable. We don't get much snow, but when we do it is often in January or February, but normally only a light sprinkle (not like Jerusalem recently).

If you are here anyway, then all and any of London's magnificent parks are 'viable'. Obviously many of the trees will be without leaves, it could be cold and damp, or bright and sunny, so the best advice is to take it day by day. A winter walk in London can be delightful.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

I was actually in London last January during the big snow storm and it was lovely and London was totally accessible (not like Jerusalem recently :(). I love animals and was mostly worried that the squirrels and peacocks and cows and pigs I read about will be hidden away. But you have convinced me not only to give it a try, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

Thank you so much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

You won't see cows and pigs during the winter , these were part of a summer programme.

rbkc.gov.uk/leisureandlibraries/parksandgard…

Edited: 04 January 2014, 18:38
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

"the park's wild (and more domesticated) life": I think that this phrase is supposed to carry a meaning that is not entirely clear to me. Although part of the park is a little wild and slightly resembles woodland I don't think that there is much life there other than foxes and squirrels. Anyway, while the park is probably best viewed in the more pleasant weather later in the year, I am sure that it is also worth seeing it in the winter. Do not miss the Japanese garden, which to me is the highlight. The huge sundial with the tortoises is also good.

You could contact the local authority to see whether they intend to run anything like this this year:

rbkc.gov.uk/events/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

I was there last week and found if a fabulous time to go. This is the only place I've managed to get squirrel photos. I only saw one peacock but it was way up in a tree...I didn't even realise that was possible.

The park was not too crowded and apart from the odd large puddle, walking around was not a problem.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

Thank you all. The hope to see squirrels (I always have some nuts in my bag just for this purpose) and the alure of peacocks in trees, along with the beautiful and peaceful surroundings make this a must visit. I hope the weather will play along.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

Peacocks and peaceful are mutually exclusive as you will hear as you walk through the park...I find the sound a bit creepy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

I often see peacocks around Japanese garden, never saw them on trees. They got used to people and you might be able to take some photos if they are around.

I like to take a walk from Kensington side to Notting Hill.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

There's also alot of unique sculptural artwork throughout Holland Park. As well as the refurbished tiled walls outside of the cafe. Easily missed if you're not looking for them.

10. Re: Holland Park (Kensington) in winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:19