We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
858 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

Cheapest way to get to Bellingham Rd and back on Tuesday. Is it worth getting a visitors Oyster Card just for a one day return trip? I plan on walking to Victoria Bus terminus and getting the 436 to Lewisham and changing to the 136 or 298 to Bellingham Rd. I would like to do the same coming back an hour or so later. I see something on the London Transport web page about a fare cap which would be good. What do you think...a £5 oyster card?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

Well if you pay cash bus fares it will be 4 lots of £2.40 - so £9.60. You'll need exact change for at least some of the trips - or lose the excess

If you buy a visitors oyster card it will cap at £4.40. The card will cost you £3, non refundable, so £7.40 total

If you buy a normal oyster card it will cost you £5 deposit - but you can get that back if you hand it in. Or keep it for a future trip. The £4.40 cap would still apply

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
858 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

Thanks that is just what I needed to know... but can I buy a normal Oyster card on the day if I don't live in London? I have local friends who might 'front' for me but I only have a few hours before Tuesday morning (not long enough to get anything in the post.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

It's the 208 (not the 298) from Lewisham, and you could also add route 47 to your list (passes Lewisham station and terminates at Catford Bus Garage, which is a short distance away from Bellingham Road). However, have you considered taking a train instead, from Victoria to Bellingham with a change of train at Denmark Hill? Bellingham station is on the other arm of the cross-roads formed by Bellingham Road and Bromley Road.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

Anyone can get an Oyster card. They may have them at the Coach station as it's operated by TFL but if not, head up the street to Victoria Tube station.

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
858 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

Thanks guys, I miss-typed the 208... nut I do have it written properly in my notebook. I think the trains would be more expensive and I quite like the idea of seeing a bit of where I am going... happy memories of being a 9 year old living in Catford in the 60's.

I will go for the standard Oyster card from the Coach station or the Tube station if need be. Do I need to flash my card both getting on and off... some sites seem to say only getting on the bus... but I want to make sure I get the price cap for the day.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

On buses, you just touch in when you board - you get a single beep to confirm your card has been 'read' properly. There is no need to touch out as buses have a flat fare - and you can't touch out anyway as there are no card readers at the exit doors.

Your first three journeys will be deducted at £1.40 (£1.45 from 19th January). Your cap will be applied upon your fourth journey, when just 20p (5p from 19th January; the cap isn't changing) will be taken from your balance. All rides after that for the rest of the day are free, but you must still touch-in to validate your Oyster card for that particular journey.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 16:19
shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
858 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

Thank you all for your great advice... much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

You can also get the 185 from it's start point in Victoria. The destination is Lewisham but it goes via Forest Hill then Catford. From there you can get the 47, 171 or 199 to the bus garage or the 54, 136 or 208 a couple of stops (short ones) further onto Bellingham.

Check out the TfL website for route maps ans bus stops.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,442 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

I also grew up in Catford in the 60's, if you have been away since then you will notice a lot of changes - some good some not so good.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from Victoria Coach Station... bus to Bellingham Road SE6

The big cat is still there though.....or at least it was the last time I enquired, as I haven't been there for years.