We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

Traveling in mid March through Europe and London is the first leg of the trip over a Friday-Monday. We want to see the sights, but prefer to stay in a mid to upper level hotel near restaurants, pubs, bars, and close to a tube station to see the sights the during the day. If both can be combined, that would be even better. What area of London should we look for hotels? Suggestions are much appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

Hi - There are a dozen of areas that fit your requirements. I suggest looking at a few guidebooks/maps of London if you haven't already. This will give you idea of the area and where the major sites and museums are located. Do a hotel search by neighborhood and start with hotels in Bloomsbury, Soho, West End, Westminster and maybe Mayfair if you prefer to spend more on accommodations. All of these areas are close to public transport options (tube and bus), restaurants, pubs, etc.

You will also get more suggestions if you post your budget per night/room in pounds. Assuming you want to rooms? It will be hard to find a hotel to accommodate 4 adults in one room, unless you want to rent a short term or serviced apartment.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 19:31
California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

*two rooms* ....

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

London's sights are spread out so you're never going to find accommodation that close to everything. However, the transportation system is excellent, so you'll just use that to get around or walk.

"mid to upper level hotel" means nothing. Please provide your maximum, daily accommodation budget - in Pounds Sterling (£).

Take the time to through some of the trip reports that have been posted to help give ideas of what you want to see. There's also the 'FAQ' at the tip of the page.

Investing in a guidebook also won't go amiss.

Then come back with a rough guide and we can give some comments.

Happy planning.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

Location-wise I would go with somewhere like Le Meridien on Piccadilly. It'll put you in walking distance of some very good resto's, bars and clubs. I don't know about cost but the location is excellent.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

Without a budget it's hard to add more than Kennydon already has. But anywhere roughly within the yellow Circle line (tube) is central and it's easy to get around. This list of budget hotels (up to about £125/night) compiled by TALF regular Tex Scott may be useful to give you an idea of areas and rates but do come back and ask about any you shortlist or are particularly interested in. You will need 2 rooms btw.

https:/…

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

250/night British pounds, give or take 50 in either direction per room. Two rooms.

Thanks!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,732 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

I'd book the local Travelodge if I were you.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,042 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

On a budget of £250 per room, per night, I think you will do better than Travelodge.

Narrow the search down to an area then look at some of the chains like Marriott, Radisson Edwardian, Novotel, Hilton Doubletree etc. All should fit within your budget and will be nicer than the Travelodge

Also have a look at Premier Inn County Hall, Club Quarters Trafalgar Square (also St Pauls and Gracechurch Street in the City (Financial District)).

County Hall is just over the river Thames from Westminster with the abbey and Houses of Parliament. About as convenient for sights as you will get in a short time frame. Bloomsbury would be my other choice, slightly more residential and quieter than County Hall, but still close to Soho and Covent Garden

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

And Premier Inns could well be close depending on dates. Have a look at the PI Waterloo, Old Street or Blackfriars. If you know your way round bidding on priceline or hotwire you can sometimes get places like the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge for around that or one of the Doubletrees. HIlton have a weekend sale (till Jan 31st so you well worth trying via their site (includes Doubletree properties).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 guys in early 30's traveling to London for first time

With that sort of budget may i suggest covent garden area, its got lots of interesting places to eat (with my favourite pie shop), sprawling with shops, massage saloons, and some of best night clubs all in walking distance. Plus if you guys plan to watch a show or a movie there are lots of theatres and cinema near by as well.