We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

Hello all

I previously visited London in 2009 and stayed in Paddington which I liked. I mainly chose it because I was concerned about getting from Heathrow with my luggage without having to use steps. This worked okay as I used the Heathrow Express and could walk to my accommodation. I have been occasionally reading the forums and I note that many of you think that there are better places to stay than Paddington. I hope to visit again 2015 (yes, a long way ahead but I'm a planner) to celebrate my 60th birthday. I have noted that the area around Russell Square looks very central and there seems to be quite a few reasonably priced hotels close by. My question, finally, is would I be able to catch the tube from Heathrow to, say, Russell Square without needing to change lines and without encountering stairs? I've checked the tube map and the Piccadilly Line looks like it runs directly from Heathrow to Russell Square (and beyond) but I'm not sure if this involves a change. I would be very grateful for your advice on this matter.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

Piccadily tube line travels from Heathrow to Russell Square and on to Cockfosters.

At Russell Square Underground station there are lifts.

Accommodation www.venere.com

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

Russell Square is *not* a step free station. There are 20 steps up from the train platform to the lift level; the ticket hall is at street level.

Some hotels that claim to be near Russell Square station may be not be as near as described; you may find that travelling one more stop to King's Cross (which is a step free station) and taking the bus may be a better option, depending on the hotel(s) you're thinking of booking. Some hotels that are west of Russell Square are more easily reached by taking the Underground to Warren Street and walking a short distance - from LHR to Warren Street requires one easy change at Green Park.

Let us know where you're thinking of booking.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

The 20 steps at Russell Square are probably manageable with luggage if you are physically fit, assuming you don't bring a cabin trunk. RS stn is at deep level connected by passenger lifts - it can get busy at peak times, but otherwise is quite usable!

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

Thanks very much for your replies. The thought of travelling on to Kings Cross is appealing if I can get accommodation in that area. I will probably end up taking the Eurostar to Paris at the end of my time in London so this makes sense. Does the Kings Cross area have plentiful accommodation (reasonably priced - ie up to 150 pounds (though would prefer cheaper)) and pubs, restaurants, etc.? I have not visited this area before so it is all new to me.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

There are two Premier Inns within a five minute walk of KX. The York Way hotel is almost adjacent to the station, with the new St Pancras PI opening next month. PIs are a good quality mid range chain with all mod cons, certainly worth a look.

If you book well in advance you should be able to find a rate under £150 per night.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

If you were willing to take the HEX to Paddington just to avoid steps, why not just take a taxi to a hotel of your choice in an area of your choice, rather than let the tail wag the dog and end up in a suboptimal hotel in a suboptimal area for your whole stay.

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

You've got a point Joe but I'm trying to be a bit more economical this time and, having read on this forum that the tube is the best and most econimical way to do it, am keen to give it a go. As there does seem to be some ok hotels in the Kings Cross area, this prospect seems reasonable. What about places to eat? I am reasonably fit but do have issues with stairs, particlarly when I am carrying heavy objects. Thanks again for the replies - it is very helpful to get advice from people who know the area.

8. Re: Tube question for ease of travel with luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19