We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Itinerary for March

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
London Itinerary for March

My mother and I are coming to London in March, staying for 7 days at Premier Inn Blackfriars. We'll be arriving very early in the morning on the 9th and leaving for Glasgow the following Sunday morning.

I understand that there might be service interruptions in March for the train to and from Heathrow?

So far, the itinerary is as follows:

Day 1:

Walk along the Embankment towards Houses of Parliament.

See Westminster Abbey, St James' Park, Buckingham Palace and possibly the Churchill War Rooms.

Day 2:

Tower of London

British Museum

Day 3:

Shopping in the morning

The Ritz for tea at 3pm (booked)

The Lion King (booked)

Day 4:

Hampton Court Palace in the morning

Walk down the South Bank to The Globe and London Eye

Possibly more shopping

Day 5:

Booked Tour to Oxford, Windsor & Stonehenge

Day 6:

Warner Bro's Studios

Maybe the British Museum again in the evening if we missed things the first time round

Day 7:

British Library

Anything else we've seen along the way that we want to revisit

Does this itinerary sound reasonable? I'm concerned that the Tower of London & British Museum can't be done in one day?

I feel like I'm missing things!

Thanks in advance!

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Itinerary for March

I did forget something, Tate Britain on the last day!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Itinerary for March

Good news. For Sundays March 9 and 16, the tube lines between Heathrow and Blackfriars are currently scheduled to be operating as usual. There are works on the District and Piccadilly lines, but not on the sections that you'll be using.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…track-closures.pdf

The Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, Hampton Court and London Eye are all covered by the 2 for 1 offers from www.daysoutguide.com. So you may like to make use of those by getting 7 day travelcards from a National Rail station (Blackfriars is perfect). Take a look at the Top Questions on the top right of this page for more information.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Itinerary for March

The planned works on the Piccadilly line on 9 March won't have an impact on your journey from LHR to Blackfriars station, as it's a closure of the section from South Harrow to Uxbridge. Your journey will be an easy one: Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, alight and cross the platform for a train towards Upminster (or Plaistow, East Ham, Mansion House or Tower Hill) and alight at Blackfriars, with an escalator up to the ticket hall and street level.

Your itinerary is not too crowded, but you may find that a day tour to Oxford, Windsor and Stonehenge will have you spending more time in the coach than sightseeing.

One could spend a fortnight at the British Museum and want to see more, so you may wish to consider what is key for you to see on your visit. The Viking exhibit opens on 6th March and looks like it's going to be a cracker; if it appeals to you then book tickets in advance.

I would consider adding the Museum of London. The number 100 from Ludgate Hill will take you there; it's not a large collection but it is an interesting one, well laid out. If you're interested in jewellery and / or design, the Cheapside Hoard will bring out your inner magpie - it's a wonderful collection.

For your return to LHR on the 16th, the planned works on the District and Piccadilly lines shouldn't have an impact on your trip to the airport. For reference, here are the spider maps for buses near your hotel; Shoe Lane is the stop nearest the PI: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/blac… and tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/st-p…

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Itinerary for March

Thank you both so much! I'm glad to hear the track work won't affect our journey from the airport, I was stressing about having to work out buses after a 24 hour flight!

I believe a lot of the paid museums will let us in 2 for 1 regardless, as my mother is vision impaired, but thanks for the tip. I'll probably get an oyster card with a weekly ticket on it for me, not sure how it works with a vision impaired person on London transport.

The Museum of London is a great idea, I'll definitely try to slot that in!

I realise we'll end up being on the coach a lot but it was the only way we would see much of England outside London, as the car hire companies won't hire to me and we're spending the rest of our time in Scotland and Ireland. Not ideal, but I'll take what I can get!

I'll have a look at the Vikings, definitely! I'm studying to be a historian, so two weeks probably wouldn't be enough!

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,363 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Itinerary for March

Travelcards on Oyster do not qualify for 2 for 1. You will each need a paper travelcard issued at a National rail station and will need a passport sized photo for the free photocard the booking clerk issues with the paper travelcard. Waterloo main station will probably be as covenient as any other to buy them at

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Itinerary for March

Places such as the Tower of London and Hampton Court let the Vision Impaired visitor in at the concession rate and the carer in for free. I realise this doesn't apply to all places.

As I understand it, London buses operate in a similar manner. Is there a major price difference between the two methods of ticketing?

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Itinerary for March

I think places like the British Museum are better done in multiple shorter visits anyway. My attention span for cases full of statues and pots isn't that long!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Itinerary for March

You won't see as much of England as you might think from a whistle-stop coach tour pounding the motorways. I would seriously consider cancelling this and taking a more leisurely day trip by train to Windsor or Oxford. Indeed, if you decide that you want to do something a little bit more individual last minute, then you can...

Portsmouth historic dockyard is a great day out from London. Brighton is a fascinating city by the sea. Rye or Ely are near-perfect small places that would give you and your mother a very different perspective on England than the more obvious tourist destinations.

In short - it's a friendly country with a good rail network, so don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Mike

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,814 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Itinerary for March

Are you flying to Glasgow (you're asking about trains to and from Heathrow)?

If you haven't already booked this, then you could consider taking the train. You can currently get advanced tickets on 0945 train from Euston (arriving Glasgow at 1402) for £21 per person or an hour later for £29.50. By the time you factor in to/from the airport and the time you need to arrive at the airport before the flight, flying won't be much quicker.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Itinerary for March

I'll look into the cancellation policy Mike, thanks! I agree with the tours being more trouble than they're worth.

I wanted to catch the train C0rnc0b, but mum was hell bent on flying! So flying it is. It's all booked and paid for.

Martin, I agree with the museums getting tedious! I can't even imagine how big the BM must be, I can't wait to see it. The museums here often leave a lot to be desired.

Is there any point in going to the Imperial War Museum, since it's being renovated?