We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

DH and I have 3 nights in London in 2 weeks time for a 40th birthday.

Its our first time away without kids for quite some time.

He has actually booked the Haymarket Hotel but tbh I'm not sure it's worth what he has paid so we are looking at other options and thinking of changing (it's fully cancellable).

I have been searching and searching and just can't figure out where the best place to stay is.

We like good food, will want to do a nice meal (maybe a michellin star one), afternoon tea one day, possibly a nice brunch another day and also a show.

We will also do some of the usual browsing - Hamleys, maybe Choccywoccydoodah (although I'm not even sure where that is located yet.

So, the areas I have found some nice hotels at decent prices are these:

Hotel Indigo (near enough Brick Lane that I can see)

Citizen M Bankside (Southwark)

Apex Temple Court ... this is a bit more expensive but still about £270 cheaper than the Haymarket)

Apex City of London

Royal Horseguards

Ibis Blackfriars (seems ok but others seem nicer?)

Those are just some that I have found ... my eyes are sore from looking.

If I could even narrow down where we should stay I think I'd be able to get my head around it a bit easier.

All and any help is gratefully received!

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,390 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

Haymarket is a handy location but don't know the hotel. Royal Horseguards Hotel is a very nice hotel situated very close to embankment underground and a short walk from trafalgar square and the multiple bus routes and the heart of the west end.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

Of those, my pick would be the Royal Horseguards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

Are you booked into the hotel in Suffolk Place?

I think location wise you are in a good central position but it looks like a small hotel, i know that road well, i used to work in that road, so know what the buildings are like.

For me the hotel would be too small, i like big hotels, but obviously thats personal choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

.... Does look a very nice boutique style hotel though ;)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

I thought I heard that Choccywoccydoodah was located around the Carnaby Street area. I haven't checked, but I assume it will say so on their website.

For a nice meal, without being Michelin-starred, try Brasserie Zedel. It's just off Piccadilly Circus. Stunning décor, professional waiting staff (but not snooty) and within the complex they have their own cocktail bar (The Bar Americain) and a small cabaret room (The Crazy Cocqs).

www.brasseriezedel.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

Thanks a million for all your replies - much appreciated!

Yes its the one on Suffolk Place - it looks gorgeous but its very expensive and really think it's probably not worth it tbh.

We love modern hotels and really like the look of the Indigo and the Citizen M but not sure about how good their locations are for us???

Would we be going back and forward in and out of the main city area if we stayed out there? .. Thinking in the lines of we would be spending a good bit of the day in that area, then we would need to go back tio the hotel to change / freshen up and then head out for dinner / show/ etc - so would the Southwark area be inconvenient?

And probably a stupid Q but is the Southwark area near the Southbank area? Or have I got it wrong?? ... Its 22 years since I was in London City Center so its a ll a bit fuzzy

The Royal Horseguards is nice looking too but the Indigo and Citizen M are kind of beckoning me lol .... also the Horseguards is about about £160 more .... ah I am driving myself insane lol

Thanks for the tip on the Brasserie!! Will look into that more

I should have mentioned that DH is a 'regular carnivore' but I'm a quite strict vegetarian bordering on vegan which makes restaurant choices more interesting ....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

Have you looked at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge or Park Plaza County Hall?

What do people see in Citizen M, it looks like a glorified pod hotel to me? But many seem to like it.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

If you do venture to Brasserie Zedel, they do the most perfectly cooked steaks I've had in ages. I had the pumpkin soup the other week and it was also excellent.

Here's a link for vegan London. I've eaten at Beatroot a few times - small café on Berwick Street with the market right outside. Yummy smoothies. http://beatroot.org.uk/intro.html

http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm

This one might come in handy for plotting routes: http://walkit.com/cities/london

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

I think you need to decide if the hotel is part of the "treat". If it is then splurge and go with The Haymarket or The Royal Horseguards. Otherwise stick to The Indigo or a Premier Inn and use the savings for another treat,

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area for us to Stay in for 3 nights?

The Apex Temple Court is a nice modern hotel. The Tipperary pub on Fleet Street is a short walk and serves the best Guinness in town. And you could take an 11 or 23 bus to this atmospheric restaurant.

www.rules.co.uk/