We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Highclere Castle by car

My husband and two children are coming to England soon and will stay 4 nights in London, then pick up a rental car at Gatwick and want to drive up to Oxford (just to spend a few hours) and then will be continuing on to Bath. If we wanted to stop even at the gate of Highclere Castle for some pictures from the outside (or maybe go in if there are tours that day) how would we access it via rental car on that route? - would it be fairly easy? - I realize we won't pass right by it and we can't see it from the main road - just seems that if we are that close (and would very much like to see it) that we should check it out even briefly since we have the flexibility of a car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Like all good estates, the house sits within. It is accessed via a driveway that is very very long. You cannot see the house from the road.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Wouldn't it be more convenient to pick up the rental car at Heathrow?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

and will stay 4 nights in London, then pick up a rental car at Gatwick and want to drive up to Oxford

-------

Unless there is some info you haven't posted, this makes no sense whatsoever.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

If you are driving from Gatwick to Oxford,Highclere is just off the A34 a little south of the M4 which I'm assuming you will use from Gatwick. It's not too much of a deviation from there.

I would say it would be fairly easy to go.

I visited Highclere 2 or 3 years ago and unless the car parking place has changed you would be able to see the house from there. I don't know when you are visiting but I know that it has become a very popular place and can get incredibly busy Definitely worth trying to see though.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 19:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Yes, you can see the house from the car park but if the place is closed to visitors then I would assume there'd be no access to the car park either.

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Thanks - that's very helpful and again, I think worth a try since we will be close and again, have the flexibility of the car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

If the house is not open to visitors (and you can easily find out via their website) then I would not be trying anything. That's called trespassing.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Why are you picking a car at Gatwick if you are heading to Oxford? They are on opposite sides of London.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,880 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

The Castle and grounds are closed. From the website...

"Please Note

Whilst the Castle and Grounds are now closed to visitors, do visit our online Gift Shop..."

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Highclere Castle by car

Gatwick - Highclere is 73 miles, Heathrow - Highclere is 53 miles so why add 20 extra miles to the journey by picking car up at Gatwick.

Heathrow - Highclere - Oxford is 87 miles, but Heathrow -Oxford , direct is only 48 mles

Is it really worth driving 40 miles just to drive past without doing a full tour which are sold out through May highclerecastle.co.uk/visiting-us/opening-ti…

I think you would be better off combining picking up the car at Heathrow with a longer visit to Oxford

Edited: 09 January 2014, 20:00