We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oyster card/travel card - need advice

Level Contributor
185 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
oyster card/travel card - need advice

Greetings all from Australia,

Im travelling to london in late may and staying 4 nights (at the mercure london paddington).

Im travelling on my own and was wondering what is the best way to get around is. I have been to london before and have been on the tube many times - so that's probably how i will be doing things.

Just wondering about this oyster card/travel card thing that i hear a lot about. If I am staying only 4 nights and will be travelling to a few sites throughout the day to/from paddington...is it worth getting an oyster card or a travel card - what is the most cost effective way of travelling around the city?

I wont bore with my loose itinerary but i plan to go to the following places during my stay to/from paddington.

Tower of London (on the first day of arrival from australia).

Hampton Court (again, probably allowing at least 3/4 day) and maybe a museum afterwards (ie london museum)

London Zoo

Harrods/Convent garden

So as you can see I will be a little travelling while I am in London. Instead of fishing for coins/money for each individual trip - i though it might work out cheaper if i get a 3 or 7 day travel card/oyster card or something similar. Is the Oyster card just like the size a credit card and you can put money on it and keep topping it up (say putting 20 pounds to start with etc).

Any advice for an aussie would be great!

Cheers!!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: oyster card/travel card - need advice

< is it worth getting an oyster card or a travel card > Yes

< what is the most cost effective way of travelling around the city? > Given the range of places you want to visit & that you are travelling by yourself I would get an Oystercard and load it with around £6 per day of stay

BUT why are you staying in Paddington - hope it's nothing to do with being by the train to Heathrow

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oyster card/travel card - need advice

"Im travelling on my own and was wondering what is the best way to get around is."

The best way to get around generally depends where you are going. Over the period of your trip it may well include tube, bus, train and walking. No need to pick one!

Oystercard is simply a method of payment. Single fares are cheaper using oyster than paying cash, so it is definitely worth getting one even if you just use it on a pay as you go basis. The charge will cap each at the rate of about a one day travelcard so you will never lose out. There are no three day travel passes, just one or seven.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 13:05
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: oyster card/travel card - need advice

The only thing you need to calculate is whether a 7 day card is more or less than 3 (no) or 4 (maybe) days capped PAYG usage. There won't be a lot in it

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,526 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oyster card/travel card - need advice

Suggest Oyster PAYG loaded with say £20 and do not travel Mon-Fri before 0931. Travelcard no advantage as you are a solo traveller

5. Re: oyster card/travel card - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17