We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

Unfortunately a tube strike is planned for the above dates. It is likely to be extensive and go ahead thus having more impact than recent more limited action due to the nature of the grievance, but worth checking the news sites like the BBC's for updates nearer the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25684670

And please keep your political views to yourself. This is intended for those planning trips to and around London so they can make alternative plans.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,248 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

I would keep your options open. The journey isn't that far and you can also take the 381 bus from outside Waterloo station. It goes along Tooley Street right past More London. Buses will of course be busy but the 381 starts at County Hall so there is a chance it won't be as busy as some routes.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

It will probably take a lot less than half an hour using the journey you mentioned. Waterloo East is right next door to Waterloo, so will take a few minutes to get to. Trains are every few minutes and the journey 4 minutes. I doubt you will have trouble getting on, seeing as that is against the rush hour flow. Even if you did, just wait for the next one

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

To be accurate, you would not be catching an Overground service between Waterloo East and London Bridge, but another national rail service - just as you would have caught to get to Waterloo, but this time provided by a different train operating company. Waterloo East has two platforms for trains running into London Charing Cross, and two running out of London. Your train will leave from either platform A or from platform C (letters used here to avoid confusion with the numbered platforms over at Waterloo) but please be aware of the possibility of a train calling at Waterloo East, but not at London Bridge.

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

i'm coming in from heathrow on the 6th at 5pm, i see that the times have now changed which means we'll now be affected. what are my options from coming in from there to bayswater??

thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

bungaro - you could get the Heathrow Connect (cheaper but slower/less frequent) or Heathrow Express to Paddington then walk depending where in Bayswater exactly you are. You should also be able to get a cab from Paddington as the worst should be over by the time you get there.

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

thanks parkandwalk!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
97. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

So is it definite that the strikes will now start at 9am on both the 4th and the 11th? How bang on 9am are they likely to start? I was hoping to get to Westminster Abbey from Russell Square on the 11th, it’s a bit far to walk and don’t fancy taking the bus, so just wondering how early would I need to start my journey to avoid the strike?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,211 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

NCMC - I thought they were due to start at 9.00 p.m. (21.00) on February 4th and 11th and each run for 48 hours.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

You're right Kennydon! Sorry about that, got my AM and PM mixed up LOL, well at least that leaves us ok for getting to Westminster. Thanks for that!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
100. Re: Tube strikes planned Feb 4-5 and 11-12

I had planned on using the tube to get to the airport. Other than a taxi, what is my next best option getting to Heathrow Feb 6th am, staying at Millennium Gloucester.