We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling by car in London

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling by car in London

Hello,

My partner and I will be traveling to London for the first time! whoohooo! Now, we have booked a hotel in Bromley, which is about 10 miles outside of central London. I read that traveling into central London from the station in Bromley is an easy 16minute train ride. He wants to rent a car though so that we may be able to be on our own schedule and not have to worry about train times... Now I know that trains do not usually run late so if we were looking to stay out late in London would it be a good Idea to rent the car then? Or would paying the extra for a cab be worth it for those few nights we do stay out late? I am just so confused on what to do and I don't even know if my question makes sense. If we do not get the car the we will be getting the 7-day travel card which is fairly cheap for unlimited travel. Is London even a city that stays open late? Should we get the car? I know gas and the car itself are expensive... Help!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Traveling by car in London

11pm would be about the latest we are looking to stay out as it is not a town like Las Vegas that allows you to be out all night long

-------

I think you are going to be very surprised by the crowds at that time and much later.

Mentioned in this post
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,490 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Traveling by car in London

you'll find that last train at 0037 or whatever is absolutely rammed.

==============

Sometimes also known as the 'vomit comet' in worst case scenarios.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Traveling by car in London

lol that's an interesting name for it, which I'm sure I'll be glad to experience haha I guess as long as there is a way, I will be willing to fight through the vomit comet!

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Traveling by car in London

You would be surprised how late us Londoners can party!! Soho in particular can be a 24 hour experience ( if you do it right;-))

Re the vomit comet, I call the last Harrow train out of Euston "the train of shame" for similar reasons!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Traveling by car in London

HAHAHA When we walk home in Vegas, it's called the stride of pride!

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Traveling by car in London

Just up from the front of the hotel is a road that goes down to the main road, from the bus stop on the opposite side of the road the 208 and 320 will take you to Bromley South station at the bottom end of the High Street - make a note of the name of the bus stop for your return trip.

Opposite the station is the bus stop for your return trip, many buses stop there so make sure you get on the right bus. It is best to put your hand out as the bus approaches to request it to stop and ring the bell when you want to get off.

The N47 night bus follows the same route as well as travelling to and from Trafalgar Square but don't run that frequent.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Traveling by car in London

That will probably be extremely helpful for getting to the train station :) I will keep an eye out for the bus numbers and ask the hotel if they have a schedule. If not, the hotel will have free WiFi so I may be able to plan my routes to and from before I leave.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Traveling by car in London

I would use train and travel card and if necessary get the cab.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Traveling by car in London

Your timetables: route 208 towards Bromley South …tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP16P1__00006f61.pdf. Route 208 from Bromley South …tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP16P1__00000baa.pdf. And for route 320, in the same order as above …tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP16P1__00007f55.pdf and …tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP16P1__00001522.pdf. I doubt the hotel would have the timetables available - these are what you will find displayed at the bus stop. You might also find this helpful tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Traveling by car in London

I think too many posts are making out that Bromley South is as remote as Timbuctoo. Thousands of folk make this journey every day and survive. So will you. Forget about driving a car into London; that'd be sheer madness.