We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child Age requirements

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Child Age requirements

My daughter will have just turned 16 when we travel to London this summer. How strict are London hotels when they say children under 16? In the United States no one would care. I am looking at getting a Premier Inn room for 4 at the Waterloo location. Your advise is appreciated.

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child Age requirements

Premier Inn has this 16 years policy, which has affected us in the past few years.

We took a chance in one PI in Kent when our son had turned 16 by 2 months, and had no problems, and it was not questioned at all. As UK citizens we do not have to show any ID when checking in [all the details are given online when booking] - I do not know if the same applies to visitors from overseas.

The next year we used a Hilton, which did allow 3 adults, to avoid this problem.

Level Contributor
2,688 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child Age requirements

Just wondering do they want 16 year olds to have their own room? We stayed in two Crown Plaza's recently with our recently new 16 year and old without any questions.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Child Age requirements

It's not entirely clear to me what you mean by "How strict are London hotels when they say children under 16?" Based on the reply above I am assuming that this is what you are referring to: http://www.premierinn.com/en/why/kids.html I take it you are looking to book a family room where you can pay for two adults and have your daughter stay free under the under-16s offer. This reminds me somewhat of this thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k515…

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Child Age requirements

I was not trying to get anyone "in for free". They charge a price for a 2 adult 2 child room. She turns 16 two weeks before we travel. Never mind, sorry I asked.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,416 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child Age requirements

When I was 16 I would not have wanted to be in the same room as my parents, have times changed?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child Age requirements

You might get away with it but overall I think that honesty is the best policy.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,069 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child Age requirements

You asked a question. There's no need to get annoyed because the answer to that question wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Premier Inn have set their age where a person is considered an adult at 16.

"In the United States no one would care. "

============

When in Rome ...

Happy travels.

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Child Age requirements

Okay, perhaps that was a little bit simplistic to say "no one would care". I was embarrassed that someone seemed to think I was trying to get something for nothing. I was just trying to keep us all in the same room in a foreign country that we had never been to. In the meantime I have booked a family suite at the Aviva studio apartments in Hammersmith. They seem to get favorable reviews here on TA - and no minimum age for the children to deal with. Thanks all!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,069 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child Age requirements

We understand that London hotels are expensive.

We'd rather you had the facts than you make the booking and the hotel enforce their rules when you arrive. That could cause problems that no one would want to have to deal with.

The family suite seems to be the way to go.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 18:56
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Child Age requirements

I agree!