We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

palmbeach
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Greetings!

I travel with my children to stay three and half days in London mainly to see London attractions. We plant to stay in Primier Inn as it allows two children up to 16 . Have a lot of questions to plan my trip, Would appreciate if someone helps me out with suggestions, please?

1 Stay : Can anyone suggest which location is better for our stay? Either : Premier Inn London Hammer smith? (or) Premier Inn London Tower Bridge ?

2 Luggage::Since we are travelling with three or four large baggage,is it convenient to reach either of these hotels by Tube from LHR Heathrow Airport ?

3. Local Travel : For local public transport to see all attractions, what type of travel card suggested? Oyster card?

4. Attractions : Is Hop on off bus suggested to see BigBen, Buckingham palace, Oxford street, windsor castle, Oxford university?

5 Food: For vegetarian food what are the local food chains like Subway? Taco Bell? and the cost of food?

6, Any thing else...?

Thank you in advance for reading my post

Best Regards,

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Are you a party of three (1 adult and two kids) or four (2 adults, two kids)?

I would choose the The Premier Inn County Hall, near the London Eye.

Info on transport from Heathrow...

londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_central_lo…

Depending on the number in your group, you may want to take advantage of the 2-4-1 offers, see under "Top Questions" this page--"2-4-1 Travelcards, Step by Step."

The Hoho bus is quite pricey, and will not take you as far as Windsor, and definitely not Oxford. You could easily walk or talk a regular double decker bus and save your money. I know this is a HoHo bus in Windsor, but it is poorly reviewed. Windsor is an easy town to walk around and explore.

AFAIK, there are no Taco Bells in London, but there are many vegetarian olfferings that will keep you out of places like Subway. How do you feel about Indian food?

Do you have a guidebook yet?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Please try something other than chain food whilst you're travelling.

Beatroot Cafe is on Berwick Street. Its right in the middle of Berwick Street Market.

www.beatroot.org.uk

The market is small and mainly sells fruit & vegetables, with a fresh fish stall and one for bread. It's one of the last remaining fruit & veg markets in Central London.

There are also some permanent shops with beautiful cloth (if you're interested in that sort of thing).

Agreed, Indian restaurants are another alternatives. There are same lovely, tasty choices that will have loads of flavour. Indian food doesn't have to be all about the hot and spicy.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

You know that Oxford University is in the City of Oxford, 60 miles from London? Whereas Oxford Street is a large shopping street in the centre of London. Not the same place.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

1. If you can swing the Premier Inn County Hall as was suggested earlier, that would be great. It's a first rate location for seeing a lot of things using your two feet.

2. Picadilly line serves LHR. Look at the tube map to see if there is a stop on that line near your hotel. With luggage, it depends on how big it is and how well you all can manage your own luggage. The map will show you which stops have step free access from the train to the street. This may be very important if you have large, heavy or hard to manage luggage.

3. You may be fine getting one day travel cards for each day. Look into the 2-for-1 stuff. May work out better than doing PAYG on an Oyster card. Just kinda depends on what you want to do.

4. Hop on Hop off is an OK way to get a broad overview of London. But it won't get you to Windsor or Oxford. With three days, I might not even bother with those anyway. Also, hop on hop off is NOT suited for general transportation within London either

5. London is a diverse International city. There are endless options to eat. As mentioned, Indian is always a good choice for vegetarians. It's certainly not the only though. I recall seeing Subways, but if you must have a chain place, may I suggest at least doing a London/UK based chain? For a quick grab and go meal or snack, look for a Pret a Manger. You won't have to look hard or long. They are EVERYWHERE.

6. Have fun. Enjoy London. Walk as much as you can. Get off the main streets a few times. So much to see.

palmbeach
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

LauraRW , Akkarin , Jeff

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate it very much

Jeff : Where do I find the map that shows train stops that have step free access from the train to the street. We carry large, luggage)

Thanks again

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Just visit the Transport for London website (TfL) Here is a link to a page with tube maps.

www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/14091.aspx

The map is available in many formats. In addition to the standard one which will indicate stations that are step free, there are ones dedicated to avoiding steps and finding step free access.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,166 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Very few central London stations have step free access from platform to street level. If you are committed to staying at a Premier inn then the PI Blackfriars is handy for the station of the same name, and it does have step free access to the ticket hall and street level. Of the two PIs you mentioned in your original post, the Tower Hill location is a much better choice than Hammersmith, although Tower Hill station has stairs. The PI in Tower Bridge Road isn't as handy as the location in Prescot Street, if that's the one you were considering.

Laura suggested you read the two traveller articles about the two for one offers under Top Questions About London, and I second that. With National Rail issued paper Travelcards you may use the offers and use all the transport options in the paid for zones; you may create your own hop on hop off route for a fraction of the price of the tours.

If none of the PIs mentioned above has a suitable rate, consider those at King's Cross (in York Way), Euston Road and the new (to open next month) St Pancras hotel. All are within a five minute walk of King's Cross station, with step free access to street level. The PI Old Street is a bit further east but also one worth considering.

palmbeach
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Thanks everyone for your input. This link gives the station facility details

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…default.aspx

and I found only some stations near PI has step free access. As such, How about getting off from the tube station where I have step free access and take a taxi from the nearest station. How much taxi/cab would charge us (We are 4 people with 4 large suitcase ). Or what about the cost of taxi/cab from LHR to any PI . Are they metered? or they go by fixed charge?

Level Contributor
2,825 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

While our kids I think are older than yours? You did not mention their ages. We opted to use Exclusive Airports for our transport back and forth from the airport. I know we could have used the tube but with lots of bags and carry ons and after a long flight it worked for us. Time is money on vacation and I am very glad we did it.

Enjoy your trip.

palmbeach
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay, London attraction with children for 3 days

Thanks for the info on exclusiveairports ( About my children age, they are 14 year old ).

Any idea about the cost of taxi inside the city?