We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Hi All!

Going to a family reunion on my husband's dad's side in Rochester then taking a train to Chester to spend time with his mom in Wrexham.

After our visit , we'll be needing to get from Chester to London Heathrow area for an overnight and flight the next morning.

Husband's mum is suggesting we take a coach, but I found it's a 6 hour coach ride?

I'm good on trains... (I can walk around a little) but a 6 hour bus ride is making me feel nervous and claustrophobic.

Would taking a train back to London then switching to the Heathrow train be better?

Take a train to Manchester airport and fly?

Any other ideas? I'm absolutely dreading the thought of 6 hours on a bus!!

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
458 reviews
from US$105.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Either train to Manchester airport then fly or possibly even less hassle is direct train to Euston station , ten minute walk max to Piccadilly line tube at kings cross / st pancras. Total journey by train 3.5 to 4 hours.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Should add Piccadilly line goes direct to Heathrow. No changes

England
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Have not used (for a very long time) bus to London, but not sure where you are getting 6 hours from ? If you know your dates, the train is a very good alternative, journey time of just over 2 hours, to Euston, then transfer on the tube to Heathrow.Have a look on Trainline or Virgin sites, prices are excellent when booked in advance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Where is your (genuine) final destination?

All the major US airlines operate from Manchester (to the East Coast and in some cases to the midwest) so that's definitely a good bet. Plus, from April 2nd Aer Lingus will be flying non stop Dublin to San Francisco, with US pre-clearance at DUB. So a MAN-DUB-SFO option, even with an onward connection to another California airport would be one to look at (you'd arrive at SFO as a domestic passenger).

With regard to getting to Heathrow, there's an hourly train service from Chester to London Euston (2 hours). From there you'd need to take the tube to Heathrow, Victoria Line to Green Park and then Piccadilly Line to Heathrow (about an hour). Add half an hour for general faffing about and that's 3.5 hours from Chester to LHR.

But personally I'd look to fly home from Manchester.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 09:54
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

.Have a look on Trainline

----

Completely ignore that advice, trainline provide over priced tickets to people who don't know better, or have money to throw away

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Oh thanks for the info! I think we'll probably take the train then.

U.S Business traveller,

We looked into flying back from Manchester, but decided against it.

We will have our college age son with us, and he'll be going home to get back for school, while hubby and I are going to go on to Paris and fly home from there.

We looked at all the Manchester options with our open jaw round trip flight with Delta, (we're flying to Venice Italy to start our trip) and the shortest journey from Manchester involves a stop in Amsterdam and leaves around 6 am, which means we'd have to get to the airport at 3 am, which means we'd have to have hubby's mum drive us to Manchester in the middle of the night ... you get the picture.

The later flights involve multiple layovers, and stretches out the journey several hours.

So it's a matter of picking our poison and decided having him fly out of Heathrow on a non stop flight is our preferred hassle. :) (We'll then be catching our flight to Paris after seeing him off)

Cheers!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,255 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

"Have a look on Trainline or Virgin sites, prices are excellent when booked in advance."

Why are people still using the trainline, and even worse, advising other people to use them!?

They are NOT the place where you buy train tickets from, and neither are other 3rd party rip-off agents like Rail Easy.

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk for your general train time and ticket cost info, and then book DIRECT with the appropriate Train Operating Company. e.g. www.virgintrains.co.uk who sell exactly the same tickets but who charge NO debit/credit card fees!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Podo944,

If you take the train (and you are going to Paris), then I have a suggestion. Once you reach London (Euston), bid farewell to your son there, and head the half mile to St. Pancras International where you can take the Eurostar to Paris. Much easier and more pleasant than flying. :-)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Have you thought about renting a car? How are you getting to Rochester?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coach from Chester to London Heathrow?

Agree with USBT, once you end up in central London (as you will taking the train), heading back out of the city to fly onto Paris is very sub-optimal when there is fast train service direct to the centre of Paris that departs 10 minutes walk from where you will arrive in London.

I'm sure your college age son can find his way to the airport which is a direct underground ride from the station you would catch the train to Paris from.