We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
142 posts
428 reviews
Save Topic
Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

Hello. We are visiting London in July and really want to see Stonehenge. What is the lowest stress way to see it? We'd rather not, with the kids, be taking trains and then waiting on a bus from the train station,etc.

We also don't want yo see Bath or other sites that seem to be combined with Stonehenge on many of the tours I've researched.

Just Stonehenge, and low stress/ no chance of getting lost is what we're hoping for.

Thank you!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

'the ancients built Stonehenge close to the A303'

You might also wonder why the Queen put Windsor Palace under the Heathrow flight path

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

Wasn't Windsor Castle built by William the Conqueror? I think you have to blame him, not the Queen. She just inherited it, and it seems like it would be really hard to move. ;-)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

Wasn't Windsor Castle built by William the Conqueror

=================

Exactly. God knows why the Normans built it so near an airport. The Queen must have excellent ear plugs:)

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

I'm sure that 'online' is the answer to this. It must be a much better view and certainly much more stress free. I've been to Stonehenge, back in the days when we could climb the stones and I've still never seen the point, it was just a long day out.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 16:56
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

I've been to Stonehenge, back in the days when we could climb the stones

======================

Exactly why I prefer Avebury. You can still walk up to the stones.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,260 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

Wanted to mention that from Feb 1 you will need to purchase timed tickets in advance in order to board the "shuttle". No turning up on spec. This applies to English Heritage and National Trust pass holders not just the general public.

It's not quite the same but a coach turned up last Friday with a booking at a time when there were just two other coaches in the coach park and was turned away. You have been warned.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

Am not a Stonehenge fan and would definitely not make the trip with small children, but in July at least you will probably get decent enough weather - perhaps - if not I believe there is a new information centre/museum thingummy where you can while away your time.

Make sure you have a special pass to actually get close up to the stones otherwise you will be looking at a bunch of shapes in the distance.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

What puts me off Stonehenge is knowing it was reconstructed by the Victorians according to their own theories. Another thing, Americans in particular please note, it is not nearly as big overall as the pictures make it seem.

This is not to say Stone Age monuments are not interesting, they really are, but I wonder if some tourists may find it less exciting than they had hoped.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
142 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

sorry the ages are 10 and 6.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Lowest stress way to see Stonehenge with three kids

It's for you to decide, but it will take fully half your day, even taking a tour that "only" does Stonehenge. Please think about whether this is the best way to spend your time.

For the record, my kids enjoyed Avebury more as well.