We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What London bus tour company to use????

Hollister...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
What London bus tour company to use????

I am going to be in London for 10 hour layover so I am wanting to take a hop on and off bus tour. I've seen mixed reviews for both The Original Tour and The Big Bus tour. Since I have such limited time I wanted to make sure I choose the right company. So if there is any advice you can give me it would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What London bus tour company to use????

Your '10 hour layover' - which of London's six airports will you fly to and from? If Heathrow and if your first flight arrives at say 0900 and the next departs at 1900 then you have not got 10 hours but instead half that.

Passport control plus the walk to the Underground station will take about an hour. If you have hand baggage you may need to leave it at left luggage at the airport. The Underground journey from LHR to (eg) Westminster will take 45 minutes. Depending on your start point for the return you may need to allow an hour for the journey to the airport. Depending as well on your second flight's destination you will need to be at the airport from two to two and a half hours before scheduled departure time. If you plan to travel at the weekend your trip may be impacted by planned works on the Underground.

If your flights will arrive and depart from Gatwick that will mean different plans for transport to and from central London.

With that in mind, please let us know more about your planned visit.

If you will fly to and from Heathrow you will need a one day Travelcard for the journeys; with that in hand you may create your own hop on hop off tour if you prefer. If you have certain sights you wish to see then let us know and we can advise how best to travel to and from each and make the most of your short visit.

Hollister...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What London bus tour company to use????

Hi Traveller!!

I get in on Feb 6 at 10:30am to LHR and have a flight to Lisbon at 8pm. All I really want to do is check out some of the famous site, Palace, big ben, Piccadilly Cirus since it my first time there. So I just wanted an easy way to get around. So any advise you can give me on how to make the most of my time there I'm all ears. Thanks again!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What London bus tour company to use????

Thanks. If yu're flying with BA from your origin city to Lisbon then your bag will be checked through. Your flight from California will arrive at T5 but your flight to LIS will depart from T3, so if you will have a carryon bag to leave at left luggage that's something to keep in mind.

On arrival and after passport control - write 'in transit' on the landing card and tell the UKBA agent you're going to the city centre before your next flight - make your way to the Underground station and buy a one day Travelcard for £8.90. You may use the Travelcard on the Tube for the journey from and to Heathrow and on the buses and Underground in the city centre.

At the station board a Piccadilly line train towards Cockfosters. Alight at Hammersmith and walk across the platform for an eastbound District line train. Alight from that train at Westminster, and use the Bridge Street way out. Have a good look around Parliament Square and after having done so you may wish to walk along Whitehall to Trafalgar Square. If not, take any of the 3, 12, 88 or 159 buses to Piccadilly Circus. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…westminster-a4.pdf Have a look around then walk down Haymarket to Trafalgar Square.

From stop F here tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/traf… board a number 15 towards Blackwall. You may see a number 15 Routemaster pull up to the stop, a distinctive bus with an open back (where one boards and alights) with the destination of the Tower of London. Your Travelcard will be good for use on that bus as well, so if one comes by, hop on.

Alight at the Tower for a good look around. From stop TD here tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe… take the RV1 towards Covent Garden. If you would like to have a quick look around Borough Market, which shouldn't be as frantically busy on a Friday as at the weekend, alight at stop F here tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…london-bridge.pdf If you want to continue on rather than stop, take the RV1 to County Hall for the London Eye, stop Z tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…county-hall-a4.pdf Walk from the Eye to Westminster Bridge and cross it, with great views both upriver and downriver.

If time is tight and you want to have a look at Buckingham Palace, from the south end of Westminster Bridge take the 148 or 211 from stop D to Victoria Street and make your way to the Palace. After that, walk through Green Park to the station of the same name or Hyde Park Corner for the Piccadilly line back to Heathrow.

Travel time from and to the airport will be about 45 or 50 minutes, and you will need to be at T3 no later than 1830 for a 2000 departure. You must be checked in and through Security at T3 no later than 35 minutes before scheduled departure time, so please keep an eye on the time.

Hollister...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What London bus tour company to use????

Hey traveler!

All I can say is wow!! You know your stuff. I'm gona have to study this a bit but if I need anything else I know who to ask. lol

Thanks!!!

5. Re: What London bus tour company to use????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18