We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options f rom Heathrow

Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
358 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Options f rom Heathrow

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked repeatedly, but I am having trouble with the search feature. I will be dropping off a car at Heathrow Sat 15 Feb. I will be staying at St Ermins Marriott. What are my best travel options? No taxi or car service, please. Tube or Express or Connect or other? I am perplexed. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options f rom Heathrow

HEX and Connect should be removed from the equation, as their terminus at Paddington is not at all handy for the St Ermin's near St James's Park station.

If you are willing to climb stairs, take the Underground from Heathrow to Hammersmith. Alight there and walk across the platform for an eastbound District line train. Alight at St James's Park and use the Broadway way out for the walk to your hotel.

If you would like to avoid stairs, take the Underground to Hyde Park Corner, where there is an escalator up to the ticket hall and a ramp up to street level (exit 1 Knightsbridge north side). A taxi to your hotel from Hyde Park Corner shouldn't cost more than £6 or £7.

Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,327 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
114 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,254 Reviews
London, UK
Knightsbridge
Knightsbridge
228 Reviews
London, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options f rom Heathrow

Easy.

Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, and there make an easy cross platform change to the District line for St. James Park. At SJP use the exit near the front of the train, and at street level turn right onto Broadway. The St. Ermins is about a 3 minute walk.

There are 30 stairs up from the platform at St. James Park, but that's only about 10 feet in elevation. It's not a difficult exit at all.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
114 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,327 Reviews
London, UK
Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
358 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options f rom Heathrow

Thank you both; I was about to ask, "How many stairs?" and *poof* the answer was provided! 30 stairs are fine; 100 would not be!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options f rom Heathrow

You're welcome. I don't know of any station on the tube with 100 (regular) stairs or anywhere close. 44 is the most I know if, and It's not usually the number that's the issue but how pokey and crowded the stairwell is, and at SJP it's fine.

If you want 100 stair torture there's the BTS Skytrain in Bangkok (94 stairs at the station close to where I've stayed)!!!!

Sainte Genevieve...
Level Contributor
358 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options f rom Heathrow

Ha! I'll have a suitcase and probably a backpack, so count me among the happily pokey. Oh, and I'm celebrating my 60th birthday. Pokey and proud!

6. Re: Options f rom Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:17