We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow express from Paddington...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heathrow express from Paddington...

Hi it's me again! :)

Just an update and a question...

Thank you forum for all your help so far...

In another thread I had asked about transport from Chester to Heathrow and it evolved to where to stay etc. with some great ideas.

However, we came up with another plot... more expensive, but fun.

If we take the train from Chester to London, and we book a hotel near Paddington, we can drop our bags off for the rest of the day and play in London. (My hubby's old stomping grounds where he used to work) Since we need to be at Heathrow no later than 8:30 next morning, we can pop for tix on the Heathrow Express.

I know it would be spending approximately 75 more U.S. dollars than taking the tube, but it will get us there in 15 minutes rather than the hour... beside we lucked out on so many deals on our trip we don't mind the splurge. :)

So now I just want to confirm that Heathrow Express will drop us off at or within walking distance of Terminal 3.(Virgin Atlantic right?)

I will be hunting for lodging near Paddington... could be a short walk, we're travelling relatively light. I already checked Darlington Hyde Park, but their family rooms are already sold, (might pop for 2 rooms) If anyone has other suggestions or experiences with Paddington Hotels, please let me know... again would like to be withing walking distance of the station. :)

Thank you sooooo much!

Cheers! :)

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

Hi,

Yes, Heathrow Express will.

Regards

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

There are a few Best Western properties within walking distance of Paddington and also check Hotel Indigo. You don't specify how many people you are traveling with or a budget in pounds, but there are plenty of options around Paddington.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

This one might fit the bill.

www.rhodeshotel.com/

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

Ahhh...so many bad reviews so little time.

Does everyone hate London hotels, or does Paddington just have a really bad crop?

I mean I know London Hotels are tiny and overpriced, but it's London for heaven's sake!

Although the scariest place I stayed in was in Victoria... budget hotel when meeting up with then fiance.

5th floor, old, broken furniture, shared bath, and a window that looked straight down to a brick patio, with no fire escape in sight! Eeeek!

Anyway....

Would like to stay under 300 USD if possible, wont be spending much time in the room, just need a fairly comfortable bed and some hot water within a 10 minute walk to Paddington Station.

I'm on Booking.com at the moment cross referencing with TA reviews... fussy fussy! LOL!

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

Checked out the Rhodes, but it says we need 2 night min stay. :P

And oh yeah, I forgot to mention we have our college kid with us so there's three of us.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

If you want to stay at Paddington then another cheaper but equally viable train is the Heathrow Connect. It takes 32 minutes instead of 15 and runs only twice an hour (xx:03 and xx:33). But the fare is a much more modest £9.90.

Both the HEC and HEX will take you to Heathrow Central which serves T3. And it's closer to T3 than the bus station.

Once you've bade farewell to your son you'd go back to the same station and take the HEX to T5 (that's free between terminals).

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

Realistically it will get you there in half an hour not 15 minutes, unless you spend the night sleeping on the platform at Paddington. Indeed staying within 10 minutes walk of Paddington, if you happen to just miss a HEX, it could be 45-50 minutes. So the extra money really could be pointless.

In your position I would stay near where you arrive, almost certainly Euston station, so if you stay near kings cross that's a short walk when you arrive, nota tube journey, you can get on sightseeing quicker, and then a direct tube to Heathrow in the morning. Premier Inn chain would easily be in your budget, gets good reviews,there are others in the vicinity, kings cross is well situated to go out and see London, perhaps better than Paddington.

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

Thanks Traveller...I'll look into Heathrow Connect as well.

If we didn't end up taking the HEX, I imagine we'd take a bus from terminal 3 to 5? Is there a walkway?

Joe in the UK... I always thought Euston was rough neighborhood, or am I remembering wrong?

Also if we took the tube from Euston wouldn't that be in the middle of rush hour? We'd need to be at the airport no later than 8:30.

I've seen the evening rush hour in the tubes before and it wasn't pretty, and we had to wait for the next train. Just nervous about the tube. :P

Thanks!! :)

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

Joe in UK, I read the Hex run every 15 minutes during the week?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow express from Paddington...

While the HEX runs every 15 minutes, if you just miss one, that's another 15 minutes waiting PLUS the 15 minutes travel time.