We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Older couple & granddau, age 15, tentatively anticipate staying 3 nights at Kew Bridge London Travelodge - I think that is in Brentford. Hotel is just 0.25 mile (0.15 km) from Kew Bridge train station (but 1.5miles from Kew Bridge tube station - not walking distance!). We plan to commute 2 days in toward central London to catch hop-on/off bus. Is it correct that we can start either Original or Big Bus tour at or near Victoria Station? If so, is it feasible in time & cost to catch train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria Station? It appears that a green line goes directly from Kew to Victoria? Or is that a tube route? Or would tube or bus be better? Or another location with a budget hotel - such as Clapham Junction?

Another Question: The above hotel location is convenient from Heathrow for our flights - should we go by taxi or ____? We'll each have luggage - a sizeable suitcase, overnite bag & personal item. Back problems mean I have to be careful lifting a 45lb (21kg) suitcase.

Normally in US & in Europe we travel by car (as we will do elsewhere in Britain) & when entering a large city we drive to a train or tube station - but all that commuting is time-consuming! This time we are trying to stay closer-in & make more use of public transit but our guide books don't seem to have adequate info to give us much help using London transit,

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

Thank You in Advance for any responses you can give us.

Jerry

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Kew BRIDGE station has trains to Waterloo station. By changing at Clapham Junction you can get to Victoria

There is no Kew Bridge tube station - there's Kew Gardens and Gunnersbury. Both are on the District (green) line which would take you to Victoria, but both some distance from your proposed hotel

The hotel is fiddly rather than difficult to get to by public transport from Heathrow - several changes needed

But you really need to think of staying closer to the centre if that is the goal of your visit - maybe in the Earls Court area

AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Cotswolds, Thank You for your very informative reply!

Travelodge is a budget hotel that would work for us & the Kew bridge location has tripadvisor reviews that r mostly above avg or excellent - a bit above those of clapham jct travelodge. If we could go, without changes, from Clapham Jct station to victoria station that would be closer-in & might work for us - tho transport to & from heathrow might be costly (taxi) or time-consuming (train/tube).

Possibly we could take short bus ride from kew bridge travelodge to Gunnersbury (or kew gardens) & catch green line tube to victoria?

We've noted Earl's Court on map - thinking it ideal location for us - but havent found travelodge there. I think nearest travelodges are fulham (reviews middling) or park terrace (low!). Haven't yet gotten time to check out EasyHotel Chain - sounded like it might work for us & may have an Earls court area location?

Thanks Again for your thoughts & suggestions!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

When do you plan to visit London? There are a handful of new build Travelodges that are more central than those you have mentioned, but without dates it's impossible to check rates.

AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Good Question, TravellerPlus! Thank You as we overlooked it!

We plan to check in for 3 nights on tues 15 april & depart fri 18 april.

I've been using travelodge.london.co.uk site but also find it difficult to negotiate.

To be able to make a major trip every couple years, we have to do budget travel & consider expenses.

We arrive @ heathrow @ 8:05 on 15 april & depart hotel aprox 8:00 on fri 18th - method of commute from & to AP not yet decided - taxi or train/tube?

Plan is to go to heathrow to rent car since we will fly out from there on 30 april after driving tour of Britain.

Car rental probably more expensive there than some locations but always seems it costs alot more to return to anywhere but original rental location

(not to mention the luggage-carrying hassle & extra time it takes if we have to commute from off-airport rental to airport).

Also, we plan to make a circle going up central then eastern side & back down westside. Last stop of interest on 29th = Stonehenge, then on 30th to Windsor castle & fly out that evening 18:10,

Thanks for reading!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Thank you.

You will be in London just before Easter, so TL rates are not at their lowest. The TL Central City Road has a Family room for a rate of £93, £66 and £60 for the three nights of your stay, and is considerably better situated. The TL Bethnal Green, opened just 10 months ago, has Family rooms for £42 for two nights of your stay and £49 the other night.

Bethnal Green is a little east of the city centre, but the hotel is at most two minutes' walk from the Underground station; you would need to make one change from and to Heathrow. It's a new property with good sized rooms, clean and well maintained and with comfortable beds. The hotel is very near bus stop S here tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…bethnal-green.pdf and although Bethnal Green station is nearby, I doubt you will hear the trains at all (I didn't when I stayed last year).

The City Road hotel is better situated near Old Street station. Like the Bethnal Green hotel it too is a new build, has good transport links, and is about as budget friendly one can find in central London.

AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

TravellerPlus, Thank You very much for your latest reply sharing your Knowledge & a firsthand experience with a TL in London. I'm going to be looking as soon as can at those 2 locations - especially Bethnal Green. Some noise usually doesnt bother our sleep. B Green sounds almost too good to be true. Perhaps is "book now" rate. I'd been looking at the other rate for comparison purposes - think it's called flexible rate. Do want to book considerably ahead tho probably not this far. Thought i'd watch prices & see if/when they go up over time. While farther from heathrow, the less expensive commute to London sights, might offset greater cost in heathrow transit - & we may find a way besides taxi to reduce heathrow commuting expense since we will be either going outside rush hour or in opposite direction of main flow.

Thank You So Much!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

You also need to be aware that Travelodge will not look after your luggage for you before their checkin time or after you've checked out. Most other hotels will

And check room arrangements - you might need two if there are three of you

Edited: 14 January 2014, 08:48
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

I'd recommend TL Bethnal Green too....

AL
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

dzug, Thank You for the info on no luggage hold @ TL - think i'd had that inkling before. That is important to us since we may b there by 11:00 & maybe then have early lunch before paying for early check in - begins at 12:00. Each TL i've looked at says have rooms for 3 or 4 & price i check is family rroom price. Actually think they charge little, if any more, for "children" <18 in same room. Also plan to check premier inn & easyhotel for comparisons.

Loughtonian, we thank you for the affirmation of TL BGreen.

Still wondering about the feasibility (steps, long walks, lifting - I know from expereience that we can soon get too much of that with my back problems & luggage is heavy for wife & granddau) of taking tube from heathrow to anywhere in west or central london? Thanks Again for all responses!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Kew Bridge Train Station to Victoria station?

Bethnal Green tube station has 1 set of stairs up from the ticket hall level to street level.

I would also note that as far as the HOHO bus goes, there is no need to fixate on Victoria Station. For example, if you were somewhere on a train route into Waterloo, you could simply walk across Waterloo Bridge and pick up the HOHO bus in Aldwych. HOHO buses are good for orienting you to the city, but they are tours rather than transport and I would not expect to use them as my primary form of transport. By all means, listen to the commentary and orient yourself, but after that, it will be much faster and cheaper to take ordinary city buses or the tube.