We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Company for 20 year old son!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Company for 20 year old son!

My son Cam is coming to England with me in April 2014. He would like to see London with people his age..Is there a group or somewhere he can meet up with Aussie travellers his age?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
717 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

He can check meetup site for his interest.

http://www.meetup.com/cities/gb/17/london/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

Funnily enough I just suggested that to him! Trouble is hes quite shy...so meeting strangers is not his thing...

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

May be me but I cant figure how he is going "to meet up with Aussie travellers his age" if "meeting strangers is not his thing..." unless he brings a friend with him?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

This might be a useful place to start - http://www.tntmagazine.com/

And remember that a stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

Time was you couldn't throw a boomerang in London without hitting an Aussie. Apparently the numbers in the UK have halved in the last 10 years of so though. So it's now possible to go to a pub in Earls Court and be served by a non-Antipodean barperson. I'm sure he should still be able to find some though.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

Is there a reason why he would prefer to meet other Australians? The two reasons that occur to me would be (a) because they speak the same language and (b) because they could possibly meet up again back in Australia. However, it also occurs to me that (a) lots of other people speak English and (b) Australia is such a huge country that your son would more probably than not never bump into these people again anyway. If he also wants to meet up with non-Australians that may broaden his options. I think that the crucial thing is to know what interests he has. Being interested, for example, in sports or in a particular kind of music would seem likely to be a good starting point for some common ground. How long are you spending here? Is it going to be the whole of April?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

Like Jonathan above, I wondered why he would want to travel to the UK to meet up with Aussies, but I suppose they are likely to be travelling and therefore would want to visit the places that locals may not visit (or have already seen dozens of times).

Jennifer, does your son have particular interests or hobbies that he would like to pursue? I wonder if he could find, say, a camera club or an architecture appreciation society or something, to join while he's in London. Then he would get to meet non-Aussies and also might see bits of London from a different perspective.

No idea if this is possible but it might be worth investigating. If he could find people that share a similar interest then he would possibly feel less shy as they would all be talking the same 'language' (focal lengths or ancient hieroglyphics or whatever).

Edited: 15 January 2014, 01:41
Brisbane...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

He might like to take a few of the guided London Walks as they provide the opportunity to meet new people.

The pub walks often result in staying for a few drinks afterwards and that can always lead to further plans.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

contiki.com/destinations/europe/tours/166-lo…

Or put him on this for the first few days.

Guaranteed to meet lots of people his own age. Likely to be lots of Aussies and often people will join up to explore further after the tour.

10. Re: Company for 20 year old son!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:17