We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept trip to England

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
RI - USA
Level Contributor
31 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Sept trip to England

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to England in September, 2014. It will be myself and my husband, both 65ish. We traveled to Ireland in 9/2012 and loved it -

We're planning two days in London (doing the Hop On/Hop Off bus - as we did in Dublin) then heading out towards greener pastures (so to speak). We both love history so our time in London would be in that area - however, if we go with a package deal and have a rental car, where should we go after London? We like the older towns/quieter areas....but also places of natural beauty (i.e. parks, rivers).....

It seems as if London can be a bit overwhelming - also would rather enjoy eating where the locals eat. Any advice?

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Sept trip to England

BTGM - we posted at the same time, I wasn't picking on your suggestion of the Cotswolds as such - that's just my generally held view.

Mike

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Sept trip to England

Nothing wrong with hiring a car for travelling outside London. But it can be easier time and energy wise to hire from a largish town as rail links to big towns and cities are excellent. The possibilities are endless tbh. Personally I'd go for Scotland or Wales - stunning scenery and on the whole much nicer to drive around but it'd down to what interests you. Very easy to fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow and pick up a hire car at the airport. You can be in the Highlands in 1-2 hours. You could also probably fly home from there by adding a flight that connects with London London (try and do it as a through ticket) which would save a lot of time and hassle.

I do think 2 days isn't really enough for London particularly as you'll probably be a bit jetlagged the first couple of days. I'd probably split it 4-5 days London, 4-5 somewhere else.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 17:43
23. Re: Sept trip to England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 05:18