We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

My husband and I will be in London 7-14 February. We will be staying in a flat at St Katharine's Marina. Since the tube strike falls in the middle of our week, I want to plan accordingly. I wonder if one of the strike days would make Hampton Court Palace a good choice? (Thames Clipper to Embankment, walk to Waterloo?) Would a day in Greenwich make more sense?

We originally planned to visit Tower of London on Sunday (9 Feb) as we have tickets for Ceremony of the Keys that night but I have no problem switching it to a strike day.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

Most people on this forum recommend buses for anything in Zone 1 and even 2 anyway so you're not likely to be that restricted and during the strikes a very very reduce service also often runs. It's really up to you I'd say

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe… The RV1 will take you from stop TE or TL to and from Waterloo for the train to Hampton Court station and the palace.

Should you need to travel by bus elsewhere, there are 11 to and from Aldgate station, no more than 10 minutes' walk from St Katharine Dock: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldg…

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

Fantastic, thank you. I had images in my head of every bus being full to the brim. It was all quite dramatic.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

Fantastic, thank you. I had images in my head of every bus being full to the brim. It was all quite dramatic.

==============

That's generally my experience on a strike day. Sorry!

You could walk to the Museum of London, St. Paul's, Guildhall Art Gallery (Roman Ampitheatre below), check if there are any London walks scheduled near your location.

Obviously, if you can access buses, that's a bonus.

I would consider going to the Tower on a strike day.

Not trying to be pessimistic, just giving options.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

Not trying to be pessimistic, just giving options.

==============================================================

I don't mind the pessimism! I had to show restraint on the first post that mentioned the tube strike because I would have just responded with some choice 4-letter words.

I figure it's much better to find out now than on arrival day! I didn't plan specific itineraries for specific days, I just wrote things down (grouped by location) on little sticky-notes. We can change them up as the weather or other conditions change.

I think we'll plan to go to Hampton Court on the first day of the strike so we can get to Waterloo before the tube closes, and then we just have to find our way home. I think day two of the strike is perfect for the Tower and exploring the City. I've been to Museum of London before (10 years ago!) and don't recall it being all that thrilling, but after so many raves on TA I think it's worth a second look.

Many thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,611 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

I think you're thinking along the right track with Hampton Court, Greenwich and the Tower and St. Paul's.

Re Hampton Court, if the buses are rammed, on your return you can either walk back. It's a very nice walk along the South Bank (I've Boris biked it too), or transfer to Waterloo East for a train one stop to London Bridge and walk from there.

You have the Thames Clipper for Greenwich, which is the ideal way to approach Greenwich anyway. For the return there's the DLR to Tower Gateway (though I suggest walking through the Greenwich foot tunnel, admiring the view across the river, and them DLR back from Island Gardens).

Edited: 20 January 2014, 06:13
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

My experience is also that the buses are extremely crowded when there is a tube strike on.

Note that there is some speculation of a DLR strike to coincide with the tube strike, but that should be clearer closer to the time.

If the weather co-operates, Boris bikes could be a way to get around, but traffic tends to be heavier on strike days (e.g. all possible taxis in use) so not for the feint of heart.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

If the weather is good once you get back to Waterloo, you could wander along the South Bank, past the National Theatre towards Gabriel's Wharf - both places have options for meals. Further on is the replica Globe Theatre - more food options around here and then onto the Marina.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

It sounds a wise idea to line up activities for the strike days that don't need the tube!!

The main bus out of Wapping, the 100, is pretty busy in rush hour anyway. My experience is it usually just gets worse on strike days. Having said that, the strikes do make a good opportunity to walk places and see things that you wouldn't normally see.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,627 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sightseeing Alternatives - Tube strike

I would definitely switch the Tower to a strike day. You are also within walking distance of St Paul's Tate Modern, the Museum of London, Guildhall, the South Bank generally, and the City (the Square Mile which has walking tours every day), all of which are worth doing.

I would expect the Clippers to be overflowing, as it were, and HCP would be misery to get to as you'd have to get to Waterloo and back. A full on strike, unlike the relatively half hearted ones we've had over the past 10 years or so can make even bus travel hellish I'm afraid, although we do have more bus routes than when the last 'proper' strikes occurred in about 1988. People just don't realise the difference in capacity of a tube train compared with a bus.