We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

Could the experts please give me their opinions of the convenience/ease of transportation options from the soon-to-be opened Hampton Inn on Waterloo Road? (157 Waterloo Road SE1 8XA) My family of four is visiting London for the second time the last week of June 2014. Last year, we stayed at the Premier Inn Westminster Waterloo, were satisfied with the hotel, and benefited from great transportation options, including the RV1 bus.

I'm inclined to stay in the same neighborhood (familiarity breeds content, on my part), but my husband would like to try a different hotel and a different London neighborhood with more restaurants and pubs right outside the hotel door. Nonetheless, he would be willing to consider the Hampton Inn if the transportation options are good enough.

We will be coming from Edinburgh, arriving by train on June 23. We will leave from Heathrow on June 30. We need two rooms, because our daughters are over 18. We would like to keep the room rate close to £150 a night for each room, for a total of £300 per night, but a somewhat higher rate wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Before our trip last year, I lurked on the London forum and benefited so much from the advice given to others. Thanks so much.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

The new Hampton Inn is very near stop S here, for the Old Vic: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/stge… With plenty of buses to and from Waterloo tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…waterloo.pdf you and your family should find transport as good for this hotel as it was for the PP Westminster Waterloo, if not a little better.

Depending on the luggage you will have in tow, you could take the 59 from King's Cross to Waterloo: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king… Taking the Northern line from KX to Waterloo will entail stairs down (27 of them), an escalator and a bit of a walk to change to the Charing Cross branch at Euston station. Should you choose the Hampton Inn you may decide a taxi from KX will be a better option.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

Personally I think that this is a great location. You are a stone's throw from our greatest cultural institutions such as the Old and Young Vic theatres, the Southbank Centre, the BFI cinemas, and the National Theatre. You have places to eat and drink on your doorstep, on Waterloo Road itself, on Lower Marsh (Cubana and Marie's are my personal recommendations), and along the south bank of the Thames, which is now one of the best and busiest tourist hubs in London, and with great views across the river. Further afield, many destinations will be easily walkable for you. In 15-20 minutes you can be in Westminster, the West End, or the City by crossing over over, respectively, Westminster, Golden Jubilee/Waterloo, and Blackfriars bridges. The area is not to everyone's taste, but I much prefer it to more upmarket locations such as Knightsbridge or Kensington.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

Thank you both so much. I like the area, too, Jonathanquinn.

TravellerPlus, for a step free journey by tube to Heathrow from the Hampton Inn, would the best route be the District Line tube from Westminster, changing at Hammersmith for the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow? Last year, based on your advice to another poster (thanks!), we followed that route, beginning with the easy walk from the PI to the Westminster tube station. From the Hampton Inn, we could walk to the Westminster stop or take a taxi.

Thanks again. We had such a wonderful time in London and are so happy we are coming back.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

You might find Bloomsbury would offer an alternative location that'd meet husband's requirements! And offer a different perspective on London from the Waterloo area. Piccadilly line to Russell Sq .

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

4 people for a week. Have you considered a flat rental?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

TexScott-II,

Thank you for weighing in! I thought you might suggest renting a flat!

I have been reading you since you were TexScott -no suffix, and I have read and saved the links to all your very, very helpful Google docs.

I am intimidated about renting a flat sight unseen, which explains my reliance on chain hotels to date.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

This is an amazing deal and near the location you are considering. Unfortunately the availability calender is not live. Maybe worth dropping the owner a line to see if it is available. http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p414083vb

I'd also email http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/ with your requirements and see what is available.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

Thank you, Loughtonian. You are right; Bloomsbury is one of the areas he had in mind, but the hotels there are pricier than the Hampton Inn. Some day we will be able to come to London on our own, without our daughters, and won't have to book two rooms.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

Thank you, TexScott-II.

I heard back from the manager that the flat is not available during the time we'll be in London. You are right; It is an amazing deal and the apartment itself looks amazing. Maybe it will be available if another Tripadvisor member is looking for lodging at a different time.

10. Re: Convenience of location of new Hampton Inn London Waterloo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:19