We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

What state is in it at the moment? I like to do this walk around this time of year: Putney to Barnes bridge along the north bank (stopping for lunch in a pub), across Barnes Bridge then back along the south bank to Putney. It makes a really nice winter walk. I'm thinking of doing it soon, but it is still passable atm with all the rain we've been having? What's the surface of the south bank like? Really, really muddy? Flooded?

Edited: 20 January 2014, 10:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

Of course, you can. There is no actual damage along the Thames in London part.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

Thanks. I was just worried it might be flooded or something, having seen the images of the Thames in Surrey with swathes of land underwater.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

As far as I saw recently, it is walkable and no flood or mud on the promenade.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

As you probably realise, the Thames Path often floods at high tide at Chiswick Mall on the north bank and Mortlake on the south bank, and your walk should be timed to avoid this risk. Tide tables for Putney and Chiswick Mall are on my site http://thamestides.org.uk Use the link on that site to contact me if you need any more information.

Currently there is a huge flow over Teddington Weir, and this is raising the high tide in the Putney-Barnes area by 0.5 to 1 metre above the predicted levels, and also tends to make the tide up to 30 minutes earlier than predicted.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

Thanks a lot. :)

I'll try and stick to low tide times.

I did actually come across a bit of flooding at Chiswick Mall some time ago, on another, different, walk. I ended up climbing up onto a low wall to get around it. :D

Edited: 20 January 2014, 16:54
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

I had a couple of walks between Kew Bridge and Hammersmith Bridge on both sides of the river over the weekend. I didn't make it up as far as eastbound as Putney, but the section as far as Hammersmith was fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

I walk Barnes Bridge-Hammersmith Bridge and Hammersmith Bridge-Putney quite often, and it's fine. Some parts of the path are often muddy if it's raining or has been raining in the past few days, but unless it's raining hard and it's high tide it's not impassable. There is one small spot around Mortlake near where the brewery is (walking the other side of the Barnes loop) that gets flooded quite a bit but when it's impassable it's easy to walk around it via the road.

8. Re: Thames Path between Putney and Barnes Bridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:17