We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather And Shoes

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weather And Shoes

Hi all,

My Husband, Sister-in-law and myself are coming to London middle/end of August. We're SUPER excited!!!!

Just wanted to ask for advise on what to pack, how's the weather that time of the year?

Any suggestions on what shoes we should bring along, we'll be doing loads of walking.

Thanks in advance.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather And Shoes

It will rain so bring a waterproof jacket.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather And Shoes

You'll be doing a lot of walking so bring comfortable shoes. I'd personally wear trainers but put in a pair of sandals for if it's hot.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather And Shoes

Shoes - comfy ones suitable for hard surfaces and which won't leave your feet soaked WHEN it rains

Weather - ask us in September then we'll know what the weather will be in August. Expect rain, sun, cloud, wind and several other things, often on the same day, with it being totally different a mile away

The good news is that it won't snow - probably

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather And Shoes

Any shoes as long as they are comfortable and waterproof, trainers will be fine, don't over-think this, and don't buy new shoes especially for the trip only to find that they are not comfortable for walking, take an old trusted pair, we walked for miles in London over the past week and I just wore a pair of old trainers.

Do pack an alternative pair of comfortable sandals though, for we have been known to get lovely weather in August, last year for instance, so keep them in the wings.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather And Shoes

If it's wet you will mostly be indoors I imagine. The August average high is 23 C, though it could be much cooler or much warmer. There may be a drought, or it may be tipping down with rain

6. Re: Weather And Shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 12:24
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather And Shoes

Wow! Thanks for the replies all :)

Makes packing a whole lot easier.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather And Shoes

The weather is not as unpredictable as many would have you believe. The maximum temperature will probably be no more than 23 degrees but might creep towards 30. The minimum will not drop below 10 with 14 being more likely. Statistically it rains just less than every other day. Most likely the rain will be brief and light - not worth even bothering to get out a waterproof jacket. That kind of rain does not penetrate clothing and does not get into your shoes. However occasionally there will be very heavy rain and on those occasions you'll be glad you heeded the advice above. I would guess that the odds of you being caught outside in such conditions without immediate access to a shop, cafe, museum etc where you can shelter would be much, much less than 50:50 throughout your stay.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather And Shoes

I just checked our weather history. Last year in London there were only 2 days in August with more than 5mm of rain. We had a gorgeous summer. But it's not very British to say that sort of thing. :-)

London, England...
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather And Shoes

I live in London and would add that it will NOT necessarily rain. I personally wear sandals in August because, even if it does rain, it is warm enough for your feet to dry off quickly and it is too warm to be hot and sweaty in a pair of trainers.