We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

Hi all, we were planning to visit the Emirates Stadium on one of the days of the proposed tube strike, we will be staying in Russell Square, from looking at Google maps, it looks like Drayton Park is a National Rail station rather than a tube station, is there an easy way to get to Drayton Park from Kings Cross or Euston? The TFL website only seems to give me options including the tube. Or what about buses? Is there a convenient bus I could get that would bring us somewhere close to Arsenal? Thanks in advance!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

Assuming this is for a Stadium visit rather than a match (if it is a match you'd be best off walking it, to be frank) you could try the 91 bus from Russell Square to Holloway, Nag's Head - although the buses are likely to be very busy and there is no guarantee you will be able to board.

Other alternative is to take a train from Kings Cross mainline to Finsbury Park.

Also keep an eye on the situation. These strikes often get called off - sometimes at short notice - and even if they don't, sometimes a restricted service is able to operate over part of a line. If you have Victoria Line trains between Euston/Kings Cross and Highbury & Islington, or Piccadilly Line trains between Russell Square/Kings Cross and Holloway Road, you're laughing.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

Thanks for the quick reply Wirewiper, sorry I should have specified, it's for a Stadium tour, I was hoping to do it on Wednesday Feb 12th, which is slap bang in the middle of the strike. The train from Kings Cross to Finsbury Park sounds perfect, but when I put that in the journey planner, it only gives me the tube option? I am more comfortable with trains than buses!

Edited: 21 January 2014, 14:03
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

When you've put in your point-to-point options, edit the 'travel preferences'. Take out Tube and keep the others ticked.

If you're on a mobile, you may have to go to the 'Advanced' option to see these.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 14:06
Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

12th February 2014 is a match day, so stadium tours do not occur.

I'm visiting London as a tourist to catch the match between Arsenal vs Man Utd (12th Feb) during the planned strike (imagine 60,000 people during the match). I am staying around Earl's Court.

Would any kind soul be able to advise how should I get around to and from the Emirates on strike days like this?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

…tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

Edited: 21 January 2014, 14:43
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,151 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

#4 - Use the link I've given in #5. Put Earl's Court in Start Location and Arsenal FC - Emirates in End Location (change dropdown to Place of Interest).

Under 'I use these modes' untick Tube'.

Put your date of travel and the time you want to either leave or to arrive.

'Plan journey'.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

Gosh you're right, don't know how I missed that. Didn't think there was a midweek game that week. Well that decides it, we'll leave it til later in the week and avoid the strike too. Lucky you getting tickets for that match! Hubby will have to content himself with watching it in a pub!

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

@Kennydon Thanks a bunch! Didn't know this existed.

@ncmc Yes I'm extremely lucky. After all, I'm taking a 14 hour flight just to catch this match in person. You and hubs have fun! =)

Edited: 21 January 2014, 15:14
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

Now that's dedication! Hope you get to see a win Scizorsim (also for my own sake that I don't have to put up with moody hubby if the Gunners lose!)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Emirates during the tube strike

It would not surprise me if the game was postponed should the strike go ahead. Arsenal have previous on this from Boxing Day last season. Against that, the game is scheduled for TV (on BT Sport) so an extra stakeholder could be involved.

My guess is that they will wait and see what the disruption is like during the first strike...assuming it goes ahead.