We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT tax refund

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
VAT tax refund

I will be in London for 5 days and then followed by 4 days in paris. I'm still deciding if taking the train eurostar or taking a flight to paris is better. I will be departing from paris back to singapore by flight.

1) If i were to shop in london, can i still claim my tax refund if i were to travel to paris by train?

2) If yes, how?

Do help! This will be my first solo trip to london and paris, So I'm a little lost.

Thank you!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$126.00*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
441 reviews
from US$104.80*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,073 reviews
from US$148.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.50*
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT tax refund

Here's the official advice

hmrc.gov.uk/vat/…overseas-visitors.htm

The gist of it is that you have to deal with a shop that is part of the scheme and you can't normally start the reclaim process until you depart the EU

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT tax refund

Hi

No. Not when you leave for Paris, If you are leaving for non EU country from London , you can claim VAT back at airport .

Regards

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT tax refund

Whether you travel to Paris by rail or air doesn't matter - your VAT refund happens when you leave the EU from Paris

The mechanics of doing so for stuff bought in London - pass

Remember that not all retailers participate in the scheme - so depending on what shop you buy things in you may not be able to reclaim anyway

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,201 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT tax refund

Assuming you are staying in central London and traveling to central Paris, take Eurostar. It's really a nice way to go. More civilized than air travel, especially if you compare it to air travel within the USA.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VAT tax refund

From what I have read on the Paris forum, you need to allow plenty of time to make your claim at the Airport - at least an hour is recommended.

Also claim the refund as a credit back to your card rather than as cash, as it saves you having to queue twice.

6. Re: VAT tax refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37