We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

Hi there!

My husband and I are planning a trip to London in July - 7 days seeing the sights in London and then 3 days in Portsmouth at the end. We're flying in and out of Gatwick, and due to a lot of Hilton Honours points we're planning on staying at a Hilton hotel. The Hilton Victoria seems to be the logical choice, with Victoria Station and Gatwick / Portsmouth connections appearing fairly straightforward. Tripadvisor reviews for Hilton Victoria aren't spectacular, but I feel like the location might be right where we need to be. Hilton Westminster looks great, the reviews are wonderful apart from some complaints about construction noise. Is there a more straightforward choice for us in Hilton hotels? We'd like it to be easy to enter and exit London when needed but also workable to get around and see the sights without too much trouble. This is our first trip to London so it's so hard to know if we're making a good choice.

Thanks to my fellow Trip Advisors who can cut through the logistics for us!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Victoria Station Hotel
Victoria Station Hotel
396 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,309 Reviews
London, UK
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

With the excellent public transport system in London, any central London Hilton would be good.

My personal favorites are the Waldorf and London Hilton (Park Lane).

Cheers

Edited: 24 January 2014, 01:03
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London Hilton on Park Lane
London Hilton on Park...
3,439 Reviews
London, UK
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,040 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

Another vote for the Waldorf and maybe Trafalgar.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
43,109 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

Nothing wrong with the Victoria Hilton but it's worth bearing in mind it's a Doubletree (and the Waterloo one is a Hampton) so I would assume both require way less points than the Waldorf or the Trafalgar.

Mentioned in this post
The Victoria
The Victoria
758 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
582 Reviews
London, UK
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo
Hampton by Hilton London...
3,184 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

As Adam says the Victoria Hilton is a DoubleTree Hilton and a completely different offering to places like the Waldorf.

Really comes down to what you want/need from a hotel.

From a logistical perspective the DoubleTree Hilton is directly opposite a side entrance of Victoria Station so in that respect is very convenient.

Everyone has their different opinion on where is best to stay in London. 2 other Hilton's in an area I am fond of and convenient for Gatwick getting the train to London Bridge, rather than Victoria is the Hilton Tower Bridge and DoubleTree Hilton Tower of London.

Mentioned in this post
The Victoria
The Victoria
758 Reviews
London, UK
Victoria Station Hotel
Victoria Station Hotel
396 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
Hilton London Tower Bridge
Hilton London Tower...
4,358 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
53,461 Reviews
London, UK
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

Hi, I wouldn't worry about getting a hotel handy for Gatwick as you can get to victoria quite easily from anywhere in London, I've stayed at the London Trafalgar and would definitely recommend it both for the service and the location, I've also stayed at the Doubletree Hilton Marble arch and although the location is wonderful the Doubletrees are not on the same level as the other Hiltons.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
498 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,219 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

The Hilton Tower Bridge is right by London Bridge, on the South Bank, walkable to many sites such as the Tower and St Pauls, very easy connections by train to Gatwick, is on the Jubilee line which connects with most of London's sightseeing areas in about 10 minutes and is also on the RV1 bus route for others such as Covent Garden, and is the best central London Hilton by some margin. And don't confuse Doubletree with Hilton as mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton London Tower Bridge
Hilton London Tower...
4,358 Reviews
London, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
South Bank
South Bank
1,481 Reviews
London, UK
The Tower
The Tower
7,606 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
557 Reviews
London, UK
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
332 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,938 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

the hilton at Tower bridge is building of minimum charm reminsecent of up market Spa building In

a Baltic State for Union workers. The Waldorf mentioned above would be better by miles .

Happy hols Regmaiche

Mentioned in this post
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
30,148 Reviews
London, UK
Baltic Restaurant & Bar
Baltic Restaurant & Bar
960 Reviews
London, UK
Union Tavern
Union Tavern
697 Reviews
London, UK
canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

Thanks very much to you all! It's great to know that Victoria Stn is easy to get to from all of them.

The Waldorf and Park Lane are too steep in the number of points per night - but The Trafalgar is on our (very) short list! (Regmaiche's post made me laugh....) We'll probably book by next week...

Thanks for the input!

Mentioned in this post
Stansted Airport
Stansted Airport
Stansted Mountfitchet, UK
Park Lane
Park Lane
85 Reviews
London, UK
9. Re: Hilton hotel location, Gatwick connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18