We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation advice?

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Transportation advice?

I will be taking my first trip to Europe this summer. I'm flying into Heathrow on May 25th and flying out on June 7th at 3:25 pm. I plan on spending 3 days in London, 4 days in Paris, and 6 days in Rome (with possible day trips to Venice, Naples, and/or Florence). My plan was to do the trip in that order, London, Paris, then Rome, which meant I would have to fly back from Rome to London on June 7th to catch my flight at 3:25 pm. However, the cheapest flight I can find that goes directly to Heathrow and fits my timeline is on British Airways for $230 per person (I have to check in 1 bag). I assume that the rates are high because it is a Saturday but this really defeats the purpose of me saving money on my roundtrip flights in/out of Europe if I have to pay an extra $230 just to fly back to London. Does anyone have any advice on how I can travel more cheaply? I'm open to changing my plans in terms of which countries to visit when and am also open to other forms of transportation. Thank you in advance!

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation advice?

Have you investigated an "open jaw" air ticket, one which flies you from home to London, then returns from Rome to home (or another combination of two of your three cities)? Flying from Rome to London just in order to catch a flight from London is generally a poor use of time and money.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation advice?

Agree with above. If you want to do London - Paris - Rome, then the obvious thing to do would be to fly into London and fly home from Rome.

Fountain Valley...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation advice?

My flights in/out of Europe are already booked :(

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,045 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation advice?

Next time, ask before you book.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation advice?

If you've already booked your USA-LHR flights then book a flight back to London the day before (6th) to give you contingency. Separate tickets mean you run the risk of having your USA ticket canceled if you fail to make that flight at LHR. Then you've got other options such as easyJet to Gatwick, and I'm seeing plenty of availability with fares from 54 Euros or $73 (plus baggage), though that fare is for the last flight of the day, and if I were you I'd go for the 5.15pm at 65 Euros/$89 (plus baggage).

Edited: 24 January 2014, 01:32
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,296 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation advice?

^^^^^ ..... and book directly from the airline. For easyJet that's http://www.easyjet.com

Edited: 24 January 2014, 01:34
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation advice?

Out of interest have you factored travel time into your plans. Given you plan for 3 days on London I doubt you'll get much done as you'll be travelling on days 1 & 3 if I've counted correctly. Couple that with jet lag (it's worse heading east than west) and I'm not sure what you hope to achieve in London

8. Re: Transportation advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:17