We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem purchasing an Oyster card at Heathrow airport

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Problem purchasing an Oyster card at Heathrow airport

I live in the USA. When I got to Heathrow I could not purchase an Oyster card because USA credit cards do not have an electronic chip. Is there a place at Heathrow with an attendant who can swipe my credit card at Heathrow so I can purchase an Oyster card? Taking the tube to central London is much cheaper than taking the Heathrow express.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem purchasing an Oyster card at Heathrow airport

There are manned ticket offices in all the Heathrow stations. I should imagine they are used to US visitors turning up wanting to buy an Oyster card without a Chip and PIN card. They will have an alternative for you

And yes, much better value to use the Underground than the Heathrow Express

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem purchasing an Oyster card at Heathrow airport

I'm surprised you had a problem finding staff--as dicanio said, I've always found plenty of attendants patiently dealing with clueless visitors (and their non-chip & pin cards). (Not that I'm calling the OP clueless, sorry!) You realy shouldn't have a problem. I should say that I've used the station serving terminals 1,2,3.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 17:50
3. Re: Problem purchasing an Oyster card at Heathrow airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:18