We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Tube Worries

Southport
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
London Tube Worries

Hey guys, here's the issue.

I am treating my partner to a few days in london, Double tree by Hilton, Hyde Park. (that's not the issue, lol)

We arrive in Euston train station. Now I know the tube station I need for my hotel is queens way but not a clue how to go about getting there. Also how do I get a pass for that zone? What zone is it? We are going to be travelling around London quite a bit so is there any zone passes I can purchase? Also, we have booked to go to Harry Potter world in Watford, what zone is this? London underground scares me a little so all help is very much appreciated.

Any other tips are also appreciated (places to eat drink visit buy West end tickets etc)

Thanks,

Chris x

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Tube Worries

The website you need: http://www.tfl.gov.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Tube Worries

It's pretty easy from Euston, when your train gets in follow the signs to the underground and take the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line (black) southbound to Tottenham Court Road. Then change there onto the westbound Central line (red) and stay on until you get to Queensway.

It is in zone 1. I'm sure more knowledgeable people can tell you about travelcards but you will need to tell us how long 'a few days' is so they can advise you best.

Southport
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Tube Worries

4 days

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Tube Worries

Firstly as has been suggested have a look at the tfl (transport for London) website which might answer some of your questions about tickets etc. it also has a useful journey planner tool which basically does what it says on the tin. Very handy!

Nothing to be scared of on the underground. It's just a train system. We also have lots of buses down here that the tfl passes also work on!:-)

Most of the popular tourist sites are in zones 1and2,but if you let us know where you are planning to visit, and when, we can probably give you more useful advice.

Southport
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Tube Worries

Watford mainly. Maybe Dans Le Noir. Or supper club. I don't think we are going too far from central London to be honest. And Thank you

Edited: 25 January 2014, 20:01
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Tube Worries

Your trip to Watford is the only one that will take you outside zone one. There is an excellen traveler article explaining in detail how to get there but for some reason I can't find it at the moment. Perhaps some other more intelligent soul will dig it up for you!

Suffice to say it involves taking a suburban train from Euston to Watford Junction and a shuttle bus from there to the studio. You WILL need to book.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Tube Worries

One excellent traveller article coming up: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g2691242-d2147749/Leav…

The Underground from Euston to Queensway will involve a change at Tottenham Court Road, a station that is undergoing refurbishment and is usually very busy. To change from the Northern line to the westbound Central line you'll have to deal with 22 steps down, an escalator up, and walks of 130m on the flat. At Queensway you'll have 21 steps up to the lift, then lift to ticket hall and street level.

You can avoid all of that by taking the 390 to your hotel. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…euston-310813.pdf Stop H is no more than three or four minutes' walk from Euston; stop S (which will be announced as Palace Court) is nearest the Hilton. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/bays…

You may use PAYG on Oyster for your four day stay in London plus trip to and from Watford Junction. Hang on to your outbound rail ticket as along with the inbound you may use them for the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk

Load £40 of PAYG money on each Oyster card, which should be enough for four days of sightseeing in zones 1 and 2 and two off peak trips to and from Watford Junction. If you need to add more PAYG pre-pay you may do so by touching in at a Tube ticket machine and following the on screen instructions; topping up at a ticket office has a £5 minimum (you can add amounts as low as 20p at a ticket machine).

Southport
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Tube Worries

Cheers guys. As for harry Potter world, I've already booked it so no worries. Sounds like the bus is going to be a bit easier than the tube to Hyde Park. Thanks!

Edited: 27 January 2014, 12:24
9. Re: London Tube Worries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 06:18