We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick connecting flight question

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
440 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick connecting flight question

Hi there,

I am flying into gatwick on the tenth of April and I have a flight into Amsterdam later that day, if I am staying at the airport the entire time between to I have to clear immigration for the uk? Or can I just proceed directly to the gate that my flight to Amsterdam will be at.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
London
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

Is it one ticket (single reference number) for both flights? Will you have checked bags?

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

We will be taking a different airline on our next flights and we are doing carry on only.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

If you are travelling on 2 seperate tickets then you'll need to exit and enter again via security etc.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

I don't think they will if they have a boarding pass for the next flight

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

I assume you are flying on Transat or Thomas Cook from YVR? Those flights arrive at the SOUTH terminal. Flights to Amsterdam on BA and easyJet depart from the NORTH terminal. Now as you are flying with hand luggage only, you could ask at Flight Connections if you can stay airside (show your onward boarding bard) but that will still require you to go through a security check, and there is no guarantee they will say yes.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

You can't go directly to the gate, because gate numbers aren't usually published till an hour (or less) before departure time.

Both BA and Easyjet imply on their websites that, if you've preprinted your ongoing boarding pass, you may go straight through security: they don't have a time limit on this

But you'll have to hang around the central North Terminal post-security waiting area. Reasonable range of shopping, eating and drinking places - but not an easy place for stretching out across a few seats, or for quiet reading.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

Is it actually possible to remain airside when changing between terminals? The airport website offers the following:

gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/…

which implies you have to collect your baggage - or at least go through the baggage collection area. Which is through immigration

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

I think you are looking at the wrong page Dzug1

gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/…

>> If your baggage is through checked and you already hold a boarding pass for your onward flight, then simply follow signs for Flight Connections. There is no need to clear border control or Customs.

As OP only has carry on bags, they should be able to avoid Immigration and customs

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! We have an overnight flight so the least amount of hassle is what we are going for.

10. Re: Gatwick connecting flight question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:19