We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wrightwood...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

Couple of questions. Much obliged to any helpful comments. My wife and I are traveling through London for 4 days (flying into Heathrow) from end of March to beginning of April, with follow on travel through St Pancras Int. tube station. We want to maximize our time spent, and need a little help to enjoy the most out of our visit. Currently the London City pass is discounted by 10% (69.3 pound for 3 day or 91.8 pound for 6 days). Is it worth purchasing as a standalone or with the travel option (96.3 pound for 3 day or 145.8 pound for 6 day option). Should we just get an Oyster card and/or the travel card? We plan on visiting the following: Changing of the Guard at Buckingham, St. Paul's, British museum, Tower London, Tower Bridge, Covent Garden, National Gallery, Florence Nightingale museum, Churchill War Rm., Westminster & Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar & Piccadilly Sq., & Shakespeare theatre, Windsor Castle, & any others we can squeeze in. I've read in other forums that the pass is NOT worth it. However, unless my math is messed up, it seems that there is significant savings as well as front of the line priority to save time. Is it busy in London early April? With the exception of Windsor castle and possibly Stonehenge all travel will be in and around the city of London. Currently I'm looking at the "Premier In London County Hall" near Waterloo station. Is it a nice place? Seems to have decent reviews. Do you think this is a viable location for the stuff we want to do? Look forward to your responses.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

Did you look at the spreadsheet that allows you to compare 2for1's with the London Pass?

Given you wish list I think purchasing a paper travelcard once you are here will be your best option but bear in mind that you won't have time to see everything on your list. Whatever you decide DO NOT purchase the travel option with the London Pass and be aware that very few attractions allow you to jump the lines with the Pass.

The Premier Inn Waterloo is in a very good location by the way.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

Many of the places you intend seeing are free (except special exhibitions) or public spaces, so the London Pass would be a monumental waste of money IMO. The travel add-on is also poor value as most of the attractions are in Zones 1 and 2, but the LP travel pass is Z1-6.

An Oyster card with pay-as-you-go credit may be a good option, though that won't qualify you for the 2-4-1 offers - see the link at the side which explains about this. Remember that Oyster is NOT a ticket, it's a delivery system which allows you to put both cash credit and a travel card on a smart card.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

Yes, I would simply organise Oyster /card travel car.

Wrightwood...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

Thank you all so much

5. Re: London city pass versus travel/oyster card & place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:17