We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

I will be living in Shoreditch for most of March, prefer to do my own cooking, and like large grocery stores with wide selection and family-oriented prices. The stores I find there online seem to be more like convenience stores with limited selection and higher prices. Any suggestions? I will be using public transportation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

There is a tesco metro on Bethnal green road and a smaller tesco express on hackney road.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

And if you walk further up Kingsland Road, you will come across some Vietnamese food shops. Yum yum. There is also a v posh food shop near the start of Kingsland Road which sells gourmet treats and quite a bit in the way of organic food too. Pricy, but nice for a treat.

And there is a street market on Bethnal Green Road on Saturdays - fab fruit and veg stall opposite Tesco.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 18:10
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

The street market on Bethnal Green Road is on every day except Sundays, but the fruit'n'veg stall isn't on every day. It's a cracking stall when it is though; Michaela is the poster girl for the Market!

Also check out The Butcher Shop nearby, next door to the Halifax (building society). They do good meat, honestly priced, and they make their own sausages which have a high meat conbtent, far better than most of the ones you get in the supermarket.

Also check out Broadway Market, London Fields, on Saturday; it's East London's rival to Borough Market.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

Not sure where you'll be in Shoreditch (the boundaries of which seem ever shifting) but there is the Waitrose near the Barbican and the newly refurbished Co-op at Old Street roundabout.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

To say the boundaries of Shoreditch are ever shifting is an understatement. The Waitrose in Whitecross Street is a good choice; the Co-op just west of Old Street roundabout has yet to really shake off its former incarnation as a branch of Somerfield.

The largest shop in that part of London is the large Sainsbury's behind Whitechapel station, just off Cambridge Heath Road. There are three branches of M&S Simply Food within the confines of the Liverpool Street station area and Tesco Metros like a rash through the City. Sainsbury's have a largeish location in Kingsland Mall, with the roisterous Dalston Market very nearby.

seniortraveler, please let us have a street or road name where you will be located, so we can give some suggestions for shops that will be handy for you.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 02:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

Boundaries never move, although people's imaginations (eastate agents) get carried away sometimes.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 12:41
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

Actually boundaries do get redrawn from time to time.

But the point is that some peoples' ideas of what constitutes part of Shoreditch can be, shall we say, a little creative?

- wirewiper, from East Shoreditch (Bethnal Green to you lot)

Edited: 28 January 2014, 13:09
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

Thanks to all for your input, you are great to take time to share information. I will be living near the middle of the "officially drawn" neighborhood, and all the suggestions are possible. I like getting a variety of opinions, and trying many resources.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

I must be from Very East Shoreditch then (Bow)! Pay us a visit - number 8 bus - for a few bits from the Roman Road Market.

10. Re: Grocery Stores near Shoreditch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:18