We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East London

Ireland
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
East London

Hi

Myself and my finance are heading to UK for a few days in Feb and going to see a West Ham game in Upton Park on the Saturday of our trip. We are looking for advice on an area we could stay that isnt a million miles from Upton Park(tube line) but also we will probably head into London for a meal and drinks on the Saturday night so we need to keep that in mind too. The main thing is that we will have a hire car so we dont want to go too far into London centre as parking will be a nightmare and costly. Basically we would like a nice suburb that isnt too far from either so any advice on where would be a good option would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.15*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.27*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.56*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.56*
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East London

Having a car really puts a spanner in the works, there are hotels around the excel centre with parking but there isn't much going on a it's all a little bleak around there. You could consider staying further out on the Essex borders, Hornchuch and Upminster are on the district line to the east, or going north you have places like woodford green and Buckhurst hill which has a premier inn with parking, these are on the central line and a change at Mile end is needed for the district.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East London

Woodford, Chingford, or Buckhurst Hill. County Hotel in Woodford and PIs in Chingford/Buck Hill.. All well situated new the Forest

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East London

The Travelodge at Gants Hill has recently been refurbished and is very good. It could hardly be better suited for your requirements.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,984 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East London

You can find directions for getting to the Boelyn Ground here:

whufc.com/page/…00.html

With info about tubes and buses.

Upton Park is the nearest Station, and is on the District Line,

West Ham is the next nearest Station, and has the advantage of also being a C2C Rail Station and a DLR Station, which opens things up a bit!

You could even possibly stay out as far as Southend-on-Sea or Leigh-on-Sea, if you fancy something a bit different from London!

c2c-online.co.uk/destinations/stations_and_r…

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…standard-tube-map.pdf

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East London

There's a number of decent hotel options in Stratford which is easy reach from West Ham and would have parking. Not what I would call a 'nice' suburb but there's the Olympic Stadium next door and the Westfield shopping mall with loads of restaurants and shops.

What is your budget in Pounds per night?

London
Level Contributor
519 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East London

There's a Travelodge at The Eagle pub in Snaresbrook which is about a slow 2 minute walk from Snaresbrook tube (central line). You can then get Central line to Mile End and swap to District or Hammersmith and City to Upton Park it'll probably take about 30 to 45 minutes. Also only 40 minutes into Oxford Circus from Snarebrook so it's good on both counts AND the hotel has parking.

travelodge.co.uk/hotels/483/London-Snaresbro…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East London

I am glad that you will be here with your finance. All too often my finance prevents me from doing all the things I want to on holiday!

London
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East London

"The main thing is that we will have a hire car "

Is that fixed? For a visitor to London, a car is a liability. You open up a lot more options if you don't have to sort out parking.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East London

"The main thing is that we will have a hire car"

The first question I would ask here is 'why'?

What are you using/planning to use the hire car for?

10. Re: East London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:19