We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

Bethany Beach...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

Hi - does this make sense?

Heathrow - take Piccadilly line to Hammersmith. Change to Eastbound District Line to Earl's Court. Get on The District Line towards Edgware Road and get off at Paddington. I'm trying to avoid steps, since we will have big luggage. Thanks for any input!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

That's one option. The other one is to take the expensive Heathrow Express to Paddington and walk up a slight incline to Praed Street.

But how are you going to get around in London? Paddington isn't exactly central so you will need to take the Underground and there's not many stations that are step free

Edited: 29 January 2014, 21:46
Bethany Beach...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

ok - Been there several times. We will take the tube - but won't have our luggage - that's the issue. Thanks for your quick response.

California
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

Well, I'm all for the HEX if money isn't an issue, it's fast and step access to your hotel. We were just there earlier this month, I accompanied my hubby on a business trip. We took the HEX and walked up to the Hilton Metropole, step free. The Tune hotel is closer, so it's an easy trek.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

Heathrow Connect is just under 10GBP one way. The tube is a little cheaper, but a whole lot less convenient and comfortable. Trains run every 30 minutes.

California
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

You can get 2 round trip HEX tix for £50. Look on their website for details and order online for the deal.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

Why do Express when Connect is so much cheaper and runs on the same route, only with a few more stops? The OP is willing to take multiple tube stops instead, so the timesavings are not important to her.

California
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

Either works, but if you are in a time crunch the Heathrow Connect runs every 30 mins, so if you just miss one, you have a half your to burn, vs. every 15 minutes for the HEX. I was only speaking about the HEX because I've used it before.

Either is a viable option :)

Edited: 29 January 2014, 22:19
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

loralee1 is starting at LHR T5. To take Connect, that would mean taking the free HEX service from T5 to Heathrow Central and waiting up to 30 minutes for a Connect train to Paddington. Connect is a stopping service, so it's 27 minutes from Heathrow Central to Paddington.

LHR T5 to Earl's Court is 25 minutes at a straight shot, so let's say 30 minutes with the change at Hammersmith. From Earl's Court to Paddington it's another 10 minutes, and step free from the platform to the Lawn ticket hall, rail station concourse and ramp up to Praed Street.

With nine trains an hour from T5 v two Connect services, I'd choose the very slightly longer Underground journey than a schlep on Connect. Others' MMV.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

loralee1,

The route you mention for the tube is absolutely fine and the journey is completely step free. The two changes at Hammersmith and Earls Court are across the same island platform and are among the easiest changes on the network. The exit at Paddington is also step free with an escalator up to the mainline station. Trains leave T5 every 10 minutes, the journey takes about an hour and costs between £3 (off peak Oyster) and £5.70 (cash ticket).

And I would take the tube too.

The Heathrow Express (HEX) is faster but costs a whopping £21.

The Heathrow Connect (HEC) costs £9.90. But it operates only twice an hour, and starts at Heathrow Central station (serving T123). As you are traveling from Terminal 5, you would have have to get the HEX to Central and change there. And the connection between the HEX and HEC is out of sync, meaning that wait would be either 9 minutes or 24 minutes, resulting in the journey time using the HEC from T5 being either 42 or 57 minutes.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 01:02
10. Re: Tube from Heathrow 5 to Tune Paddington hotel - no steps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 07:22