We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area of London for children! Help!

Wapakoneta, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Best area of London for children! Help!

Hello! Hopefully someone can help me out. My family and I are traveling to London in December, there are 4 adults and 2 children, ages 6, and 11. I have been searching for apartments for a week now and I just have no idea what part of London to stay in. I am from a small town so when it comes to big cities I get paranoid lol I narrowed it down to 3 apartments. 1 is in West Kensington, fairly close to the West Kensington tube station. Number 2 is on Camden High St close to the Camden Town tube station. And number 3 is in the Canary Wharf/Docklands area, right on the river... I want to be able to travel to the major sites in London and not have the kids bored out of their mind by time we get there but I want somewhere safe(not sure if there are "unsafe" ares in London) Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

All 3 sites are safe. I wouldn't go for Canary Wharf - too far, too business oriented. Camden might be the best. Though it's a very busy area, it's near Regents Park, with the zoo, children's playgrounds, and plenty of space to run around, and is probably better

West ken I am not so familiar with....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

I wouldn't stay on Camden High St with kids tbh. Just way too busy and Regents Park would not compensate, esp in December. But firstly in order to give better suggestions, is this over Christmas and what is your budget?

Canary Wharf can be fine, in fact a TALF regular with kids has stayed there and there is an excellent property in Discovery Dock which has a pool in the block, has lots of family friendly restaurants,cafes and shops nearby, and is 5 minutes from the Jubilee line which gets you to virtually all the tourist areas within 10-20 minutes without even changing lines. In winter there is also an ice rink and lots of events and activities going on.

West Kensington can be OK, depending exactly where you stay. Do you have a streetname? It wouldn''t be my first choice.

I probably sound like a broken record but I tend to think Bloomsbury, central, quiet bits but lots on the doorstep, or the County Hall end of the South Bank are hard to beat esp. with kids. The latter has some holiday lets in the White House and further toward Vauxhall on Albert Embankment (worth trying vrbo.com for this area).

Edited: 30 January 2014, 18:11
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

This family trip report from 2013 may help -

tripadvisor.co.uk/…51413657

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

The author of the trip report above - monikavn - is the person I was referring to btw.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

If you post links to the apartments you are considering that would help. There's also a list of reputable apartment companies by poster TexScott, but I can't post the link from this computer. Search TexScott flat rentals list. Maybe someone else could post it.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

Here is Tex's list :

https:/…

Wapakoneta, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p5355 Canary Wharf

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1279685 Camden

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p455202 West Kensington

The one in Camden is 2600.00 USD that's about the highest we would like to spend

Thanks for all of the responses so far. Definitely helping!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

Thanks. Well Canary Wharf isn't really CW. Nearest station is South Quay DLR although there's reasonable shopping near. Too far from easy transport IMO. Camden is more convenient but I would be very wary of staying 2 minutes from Camden tube. Horrifically busy. West Kensington I don't know well enough to comment much except it's nearish the Piccadilly line and other lines at Earls Court. Very near an extremely busy road with 24/7 traffic which might be a problem, esp. if you're not used to it.

I would start again using Tex's list and the areas suggested. You should be able to get something on your budget although sleeping 4 adults+ kids will be the challenge.

Wapakoneta, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

What about the Hyde Park area? When I was browsing the calendar of events I seen they have a winter wonderland in Hyde Park starting in November. My kids would love that. We will be in Ireland from December 8th-15th then London 15th-22nd I found an apartment it says Notting Hill but shows it close to Hyde Park on the map.. www.homeaway.com/vacation-rentalp1137965

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best area of London for children! Help!

Hmm, what a dilema. Here's my opinion. Canary Wharf would have been great, but as PW pointed out, it's quite a walk to transportation. While some times the Dockland area does look to be quite a way from the city center, if you are close to the DLR, you can be at Green Park or Bond Street within 20 minutes.

As for Camden, it's well located in terms of transportation links, but it's a busy busy station, and the whole area on the weekends especially is chockablock with people going to the market. You don't say if you are going to be there on a weekend, but the station is not fully functional on a Sunday as there are too many people in the area. It would however give you a great experience.

Now as for West Kensington, if you are coming from Heathrow, it would be a perfect location. as it's on the District line (Picadilly line goes strait to Barons court tube and a 5-10 minute walk after that.). Easier to get to and from the airport, and a quiet neighbourhood with great links into central London.

So to narrow it down.

Canary Wharf, too inconvenient

Camden is busy but will give you and the kids quite an experience

West Kensington, Great links and quiet area, with the easiest travel to and from Heathrow.

Hope this helps rather than confuse :-)

Enjoy