We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,900 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

Lots of useful tips here about alternative methods of getting around, replanning your schedule - and why you should keep your eye on the Transport for London website.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c205260/Lon…

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
102 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

Very nice. Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

Thank you. If you want to get somewhere by black cab during a tube strike (or get to a train station), is much more difficult and are prices increased?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

A good artcle and very timely. Well done.

Black cab fares are set by the Public Carriage Office and should not alter in case of strike action. Traffic could / will be heavier, depending on the time of day you plan to travel; sitting in a non-moving taxi in the Strand will mean watching the fare on the meter rise as you go nowhere quickly.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 04:17
Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

No specific plans, just wondering-thanks Traveller Plus. Sitting in a non-moving taxi in the Strand in heavy traffic could happen on a non-strike day, depending on what's going on and time of day. Glad to hear though, that the fares can't be altered in such situations.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,753 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

Excellent article wirewiper.

It may be worth mentioning some of the non tube options for getting into London from Heathrow, or vice versa. Of course the public transport options will only get you to specific stations, but ...

1) National Express coach to Victoria

2) HEX (£21) or HEC (£9.90) to Paddington

3) Bus and train via Feltham. I envisioned a tube strike when I wrote this - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k50290…

4) Pre-booked car services door to door, with numerous well reviewed providers, some mentioned on Tex's long running thread - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k48869…

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

Thank you for the article! Really useful info. Have a great weekend!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,900 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

Thanks all for the feedback.

@ USBT - I didn't want to make the article too unwieldy, but I might incorporate the info about Heathrow. Although I seem to remember during a previous strike that the Piccadilly Line actually ran between Heathrow and Hyde Park Corner.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,753 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

"Although I seem to remember during a previous strike that the Piccadilly Line actually ran between Heathrow and Hyde Park Corner."

Boxing Day 2012 strike, it did indeed (to/from T5). But, just in case, and the article may have to endure the odd future strike too. :-)

Edited: 01 February 2014, 11:21
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

You won't see more taxis about as cabbies are well known for going home once they have earnt a normal days money. So you may see fewer about later in the day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Traveller Article - How to survive a tube strike!

I think the evening drivers will come in earlier (I certainly will) so there should be more cabs around than usual, demand should be high though during the day.