We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mode of travel?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best mode of travel?

Need some help. I'll be travelling alone to visit my daughter who lives near Ely and can pick me up there. I will be arriving at Heathrow airport and not sure of the best way to do so. Also have read so many stories here about all the problems of train tickets and not being able to get them once I arrive. If traveling by bus might be better. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'll have a suitcase and a carry-on bag as well as myself!

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best mode of travel?

It's pretty easy. Take the Piccadilly Line (Underground/Tube) direct to Kings Cross.

From Kings Cross, you can take the First Capital Connect or Greater Anglia (National Rail) service direct to Ely. The final destination will probably be either Ely or Kings Lynn.

The journey to Kings Cross should take around an hour, from there to Ely, just over an hour.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 16:16
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best mode of travel?

A lot of the problems with train tickets relate to buying in advance

For Ely you don't need to - just get the tube to Kings Cross St Pancras and buy a ticket at Kings Cross ticket office to Ely. It will be the same price on the day as in advance

By bus you would need to get a bus from Heathrow to Cambridge then a local bus to Ely

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best mode of travel?

Great Anglia don't run from King's Cross.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best mode of travel?

Keepin it simpe, from Heathrow you catch a Piccadilly Line tube to Kings Cross/St Pancras. Buy the ticket for that at the Underground ticket office at the airport. At Kings Cross there are direct trains every hour during the day to Ely and you can get a ticket for that at the station ticket office. If you find you have just missed the direct train at kings Cross (it will have an end destination of Kings Lynn) and don't want to use the time for a coffee break, you can catch a train to Cambridge and change there.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,526 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best mode of travel?

>>> Also have read so many stories here about all the problems of train tickets and not being able to get them once I arrive. If traveling by bus might be better. <<<

What stories? What problems?

It is a myth that train tickets must be booked ahead of time, and the only reason to do so would be to take advantage of cheaper advance fares where these are on offer. There are very few occasions when you cannot buy a walk-up ticket for immediate travel, and some routes don't even have reservable seats.

In fact you are more likely to find you cannot get on the coach, because it is fully booked for that day.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best mode of travel?

Thanks for the info. So, will I be able to use my CC to buy a ticket to KX when I arrive and where will I do this? Then, when I get to KX is this where I buy the ticket for the next leg?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best mode of travel?

Correct. When you get to the Piccadilly Line station at Heathrow, you will need to buy a single ticket to Kings Cross/St Pancras from the ticket office (unless you have a Chip and PIN card, then you can buy at the machines)

When you get to Kings Cross, repeat procedure at the ticket office there

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best mode of travel?

Thank you.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best mode of travel?

Where have you heard about problems buying train tickets? About 20 million of us manage it every day.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best mode of travel?

Maybe they mean using automated kiosks with a common US bank issued credit card? I've heard various reports of people sometimes having issues along that line. Of course, that's easily avoided by visiting a manned ticket counter.