We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

browndogSF
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

i have never been to london but will be there for two weeks. any recommendations for an interesting neighborhood that has walkable shops and cafes/restaurants? i don't need department stores, shopping, tourist sites nearby. just a real neighborhood. kind of like a london brooklyn. thanks for any ideas!

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

<<< . kind of like a london brooklyn. >>>>

If that's what you want, go to a plasticised Disney style pretend-land somewhere

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

"Thank you all. Maybe I was quick and lazy with my post title. I am quite no longer hip :) But I am looking for a neighborhood where we will actually like to be for two weeks - Not one with chain stores and people shoving fliers at me for hop-on-hop-off tours, but with small and local shops, street art, record stores, interesting places to eat/drink, etc. Thanks for the ideas."

Try Hampstead, there is Hampstead village and Hampstead Heath, a very pretty area with quirky shops and eateries, and with good tube links into central London.

@Charlemaine,

A bit of a harsh reply there, cannot think why you got the hump with the OP, he/she was only asking a question which is what we should surely encourage people to do on TA.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 09:51
london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

The problem you will have is that "real neighbourhoods" don't tend to have much tourist accommodation.

You will also struggle to avoid chain stores, they are everywhere, even the trendy areas have tescos and subway! As far as I am aware London doesn't have much of a problem with people shoving leaflets at you, or I have never really noticed it anyway. So I would not worry too much about that either.

Anyway as has been suggested it would be worth looking at East London eg shoreditch etc which is very hipster, potentially bordering on the annoying :-) or Brixton which feels like more of a real neighbourhood. Maybe also have a look at Bermonsey?

I personally like the area around Kilburn/ kensal rise/ kensal green but again you might struggle with accommodation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

Hoxton , Islington, clerkenwell, brixton, Victoria park, leather market street, some of bermondsey.

I live in Islington just off of Upper Street and it is the kind of area you are describing although I am a bit old to be much of a hipster though.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

Wow, all the way to response 23 before anyone mentioned the clear winner - Bermondsey. If you cannot find a hotel, use AirBnB, or VRBO, or the like.

LONDON, UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

come to hackney - you'll find most of what you are looking for; diverse population, lots of small outlets including secondhand/ "vintage" (i.e. overpriced secondhand), cafes with varying levels of pretension, lots of pubs/bars with varying levels of safety. There is a shortage of places to stay but there's a few (overly pricy) hotels on the edges round shoreditch. few secondhand record shops on Essex Rd which is a bike ride away, Brick Lane Market for as much edgy/hipster action as you could want and street art too of various levels of quality. i've lived here for twenty years now and still enjoy it

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

I suspect that charlemaine has never set foot in Brooklyn.

browndogSF
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

OP here. The reason I posted is that I live in SF myself and I see that tourists miss the many great neighborhoods of the city by staying in Union Square, Fishermans Wharf, the Marina, Nob Hill etc.

I don't want to be surrounded by tourist attractions. I don't go out at night to bars and clubs. I will airbnb a place so I don't care about hotels. I don't care about hipsters. I am surrounded by hipsters in SF. I'm 46 and have two teen boys who are obsessed with British music. We want record stores and an area with character and some edge. We are not horrified by the grit of a city. When we visit NY we often stay in Bedford-Stuv Brooklyn. Thought it might be a reference point. I meant hip in the sense of a mixed and interesting. I realize their are chain stores everywhere. I just didn't want to be in a commercial shopping center.

Thanks to most of you for your help. Brixton looks interesting to us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

Good choice BrowndogSF. You'll have a great time. Your boys will want to check out what is on at the Brixton Academy. Visit the markets and 'Brixton Village' - which used to be Granville Arcade, one of the markets; enjoy the vibe, try the cafes. theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/09/jay… Enjoy a film at the Ritzy. Visit the Trinity Arms pub. Eat at the Upstairs restaurant on the corner of Acre Lane & Branksome Road (great food, best to book). You will be completely safe in the daytime, but late at night stay within the central Brixton area (avoid Angell Town Stockwell, Loughborough Junction, the Tulse Hill end of Brixton Hill unless you know where you are going late at night) and you will be as safe, if not safer than any US inner city.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: edgy-artsy-hip neighborhoods in london?

Elephant and Castle? London Bridge / Southwark area? Brick lane?