We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube strike

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aalborg
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Tube strike

How likely is it that the strike announced 4/2-6/2 and 11/2-13/2 will come into effect?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube strike

Who knows? But at the moment there is no talk of it being called of, so assume it will go ahead and be prepared.

tfl.gov.uk/corporate/…29534.aspx

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c205260/Lon…

Edited: 01 February 2014, 09:35
Aalborg
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube strike

Yes, who knows?

I was just wondering if strike treats was common?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube strike

Where the RMT union is concerned, yes. Based on past experience it really is 50/50 that it'll go ahead. Both parties are playing hardball over this.

Aalborg
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube strike

ok, thanks both

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube strike

Both my daughters who live and work in London are hoping it will be called off, there are rumours that it will but this cannot be relied upon, one of them is in this case planning to work from home for two days next week, not so easy for the other she is a teacher but in this case is planning to take the bus.

Would do likewise and have a contingency plan in place just in case.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube strike

I think the first week's will happen (though how extensively is hard to call). As I've said elsewhere I do think this strike will be more supported than the damp squibs of recent years due to both the nature of the dispute and the number of votes to strike, but it is only one tube driver's union (RMT) and the ticket staff's so may affect some lines more than others, or some stations and not others. Have a plan B is the only advice anyone can sensibly give at the moment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube strike

I have gone out and spent ££££ on cold weather cycling gear so I can get to work in case of a strike next week. I can therefore confidently predict that there will be no strike ;)

But seriously, it looks like the mayor has agreed to the RMT's request for face-to-face meetings, which is encouraging.

Aalborg
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube strike

Thanks for your investment rbgs, nice to know that someone have been willing to make the necessary sacrifices :-)

But if that turns out not to be enough, how do I then easiest travel from Gatwick to Hammersmith, in the evening?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,267 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube strike

Southern train to Clapham Junction, Overground train to West Brompton and then a 190 bus to Hammersmith.

Aalborg
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tube strike

How long would you estimate this trip (Clapham, Brompton, 190) to take?